Shorten launcher outro on failure

docker

(Kane York) #1

Continuing the discussion from How do I update my Docker image to latest?:

Perhaps we should make the outro shorter? Because it seems that’s all that anyone actually copies, and it never has the actual error message in it.

(Sigurður Guðbrandsson) #2

… perhaps even send stderr and stdout to a file, then ask the user if he wants to submit the file to pastebin … that way the user doesn’t have to do anything except press “y” and [return], get the link and share the bug with his question.

(Jeff Atwood) #3

Ok but how do we make this outro shorter, exactly?

IDEA: the outro should tell people to paste the whole log or at least scroll back a ways?

(Dean Taylor) #4

If the content of the log is known to not pose a security issue then perhaps prompt to post to a secret anonymous Gist on failure…
https://developer.github.com/v3/gists/#create-a-gist

Add something like this to the bottom of a build failure?

Looks like you have a problem your log is located here: /home/bob/discourse-build.log
To create a shareable Gist link run: ./launcher share-last-build-log

(Kane York) #5

Oh right, I forgot that we could tee the output.

(Jeff Atwood) #6

Eh, we already have enough people reporting installation errors from being randomly unable to reach GitHub or RubyGems or whatever. I don’t know that we want even more external dependencies.

My proposal is easier, change

to

** FAILED TO BOOTSTRAP ** please scroll up and look for any earlier error messages, there may be more than one

Or similar. OK, making that change now.

(Jeff Atwood) #7

Adding a tee output that splits to file and console would be nice. Then we could reference it in the error message.