Should long name be removed from the header?

(a slightly fluffy latex coated steel ball) #1

I’m sure there’s a good reason for this… or maybe a setting somewhere?
Just an observation, most apps i have ever seen its the username

MB

(Sam Saffron) #2

It’s not really a setting.

Personally, I think we should ditch it altogether.

We have the avatar, and the flashing on scroll is maddening and fiendishly hard to fix.

(a slightly fluffy latex coated steel ball) #3

That’s making the broad assumption that people who are posting actually know who they are :wink:

EDIT: Ah yes see what you mean - it vanishes on scroll
EDIT2: Pushing the title up into the header on scroll is a nice touch though

(Sam Saffron) #4

What we have now looks like a bug, I would prefer just to do away with it. Letter avatars are a lot better than what we had originally so new users should be ok.

Besides, you really need to know who you are when you are posting. You are usually posting when name is suppressed anyway and it seems people are not getting confused.

StackOverflow ditched usernames on top, I think it was a fine call.

(a slightly fluffy latex coated steel ball) #5

stick .username{display:none} in the css and see if anybody notices :wink:

What is all that “metamorph” stuff? I’m not familiar with it

(Sam Saffron) #6

Great idea, let’s see what happens, metamorph will go with htmlbars (search for it)

Wow, this is so much better, my OCD is no longer constantly looking at :arrow_upper_right: when I scroll.

cc @awesomerobot

(a slightly fluffy latex coated steel ball) #7

LOL I noticed straight away i thought I was going nuts!

Hmmm… htmlbars looks tasty, I’m new to all this ember and node stuff I’m still old-school jquery

(Jeff Atwood) #8

On the one hand, it is removing stuff, which I generally like and support. Less stuff = good.

On the other hand: I miss “me”.

Six Ways to Make People Like You

1. Become genuinely interested in other people.
  2. Smile.
  3. Remember that a person’s name is, to that person, the sweetest and most important sound in any language.
  4. Be a good listener. Encourage others to talk about themselves.
  5. Talk in terms of the other person’s interest.
  6. Make the other person feel important – and do it sincerely.

The problem is that we’ve removed the most precious thing on the page to the user: their own name.

It does bother me that when I scroll up to the top, I don’t see my custom name. It is not a dealbreaker… but I haven’t ever been bothered by any change to the header as I scroll down, including on topics where the header changes significantly as you scroll down. Ditto for scrolling up.

And remember that we’re eventually going to start adding things into the header as you scroll down in topic lists, e.g. in a category at minimum we should dock the category name in the header on scroll down.

So what’s the difference between removing and adding? Both are changes to header state. Why does removal grate, but adding (ala the topic, and eventually the topic list) not grate?

(Sam Saffron) #9

The main reason this grates on me is cause we clearly have room for it most of the time.

So I am thinking to myself, ha … you just removed my wonderful name for no reason just cause I scrolled. As I scroll I also find the flashing distracting.

The issue is that its a technical nightmare to fix this “glitch”. Also once this is removed we can now think of adding more useful stuff to the header if needed.

(Jeff Atwood) #10

Not really, if the topic title is long, you wouldn’t want the name there, it would butt up against the topic title.

And we change the header all the time anyway, see below.

How, exactly, is this any different than the header changing as you scroll down and up in the topic?

Why isn’t that distracting? We change header all the time in the topic, and we’ll be changing it more in topic list as you scroll down to add the category, at some point in the not-too-distant future…

YAGNI. The reason SE pulled name from header is because they were massively out of room. We have eons of room in the header right now.

I generally support removing stuff but the reasons provided here are not at all compelling… (space? we have tons. change is distracting? we change header all the time) and the counter-reason is strongly supported by How to Win Friends and Influence People as well as tons of social science.

Not the end of the world, or anything, but it just doesn’t feel like “my” site if my name is missing.

(a slightly fluffy latex coated steel ball) #11

I think the intention of my OP was that it showed the long name eg: “a slightly fluffy latex coated steel ball” in the header rather than the more compact “mouseball” which is just the username, however I see the value in removing it altogether as it creates more space for longer post titles, but I also concur that it is nice to see my own name at the top as well.

The reason why scrolling up works is because it’s useful to know the post title when you are further down the page - makes perfect sense - username vanishing on scroll though looks like a bug to me

But then what would I know? I’ve only been in web since 1996 :wink:

What I really do like about discourse ( and remember this is only my first day here ) is the immediacy of it and how it all works in realtime - that is seriously cool :slight_smile:

(Jeff Atwood) #12

That is what it shows (well, used to show), for me… “Jeff Atwood” not codinghorror. AFAIK that is how it has always worked.

(a slightly fluffy latex coated steel ball) #13

So maybe the real answer here is to have a “headline” ( eg. Like linked in )
So:

• username - mb1257635
  • long name ( or display name ) mouseball
  • headline #a slightly fluffy latex coated steel ball

I think whats confusing me is that I see “codinghorror[shield] Jeff Atwood co-founder” but have since realized “co-founder” is something to do with the groups controller eg Discourse Meta … I’m guessing this is something that will be added later.

I’m using “long name” basically as a headline in this case

EG: It is working how it should - it’s just the user ( in this case me) being flaky

Woudl also note that "Discourse Meta " does not work - which is probably also as it should be :wink:

(Sam Saffron) #14

Looking at the titles on meta and BBS, there is enough space the vast majority of the time (I would say over 90% of the time), not having space is an exception. So we end up coughing exceptional behavior for the common case, which is odd.

(Kris) #15

Why don’t we just show the username there? Your username is your primary name in Discourse and takes precedence over your display name everywhere except for the header as it is.

So then you’d have username/display name… the 3 designations that @mouseball suggested with a “headline” idea is basically a sneaky way to get a signature in. You could still use a display name for that anyway…

So

Username (primary):

• use it to log in
  • shows in header
  • shows on posts
  • use it to @ people

Display name (secondary):

• secondary in posts
  • secondary in profile

I’m also cool with ditching it completely… maybe username becomes a header in the user dropdown so the reference exists somewhere?

(Sam Saffron) #16

One issue is that username does get a bit long too, what more its configurable to allow a ton of chars.

GMail, Facebook and Amazon do an interesting thing and use first name, but the way people use names here I don’t think it would work.

(Kris) #17

Ah, I forgot username length is configurable… so maybe it’s ditched and the user dropdown takes on a bit more responsibility?

Google’s user dropdown is nice and something like this could work here.

(Jens Maier) #18

Because you’re already scrolling down, you expect the topic title to move upwards. It’s not so much as one thing replycing another, it’s a motion, and motion blindness easily makes you ignore the changing site logo.

Next you’ll be telling me that Discourse 2.0 will be out in under 12 parsecs… :wink:

(Michael Downey) #19

My face is more of my identity than my name, and it’s still there. :smile:

(Mittineague) #20

I used to use it a lot to get to my Profile page, but only because it was there to use.

As long as I can get to the page other ways I can live without it being there and will get used to it being absent. No big deal either way IMHO

As for “seeing my name” to help me feel part of the Community, I’m no psychologist so I have no idea how that works. It seems logical that it might help some feel a part, but that’s just a feeling and would need A/B testing I guess.