Should usercard backgrounds be white?

(Kris) #1

I originally made the background on the usercards black to create more contrast between the cards and the background — but they feel like they might be standing out too much, especially on some themed instances. Would it make more sense to make the background consistently white? Any thoughts one way or the other?

(cpradio) #2

I don’t really have a preference. The end result we should aim for is something pleasing, but more importantly, something that can easily be customized using a few lines of custom CSS. I feel the end goal was reached with User Cards, what the default is, bleh, I don’t care.

With that said, white gets lost. Where the card starts and ends is harder to notice. A grey background would work much better and be less distracting. However, there is an argument for that since User Cards are customizable, that the level of distraction will always be around based on what a user puts as their avatar and background.

(Jens Maier) #3

That was one of the first things I customized for my site:

Default:

Dark background:

Light background:

(Michael Downey) #4

To me, one of the interesting things about the user cards is the disparity of appearance with or without background image. Without a background image, the card is effectively smaller with the transparent area across the top.

Similar to the green example @elberet posted, if the default user card “background image” was a dark gray, the white overlay would appear as a lighter gray, which would give it more contrast with the default white background.

I wouldn’t know anything about distracting user cards. :angel:

(Jeff Atwood) #5

I think we can revisit this at a later date, more worried about other urgent areas needing redesign, e,g. tabbed hamburger and in 1.4 full height slide out hamburger.

Also tag alignment is still quite off, view a topic with tag and category and they are not aligned right at all.