I don’t know exactly how this would work, or whether it is even a good idea. But here’s the idea:
Allow some auto-replace rules for titles, to prevent people from leaving stupid titles.
- Replace ??? with a single ?
- Replace !!! with a slap in the face.
- Replace all-caps titles with regular case letters. (SCREAMING TOPIC TITLE becomes Screaming Topic Title).
- Capitalize first letter in the title.
- Remove an unnecessary period at the end of the title.
I’m not sure it’s somewhere we even want to go - after all, the title of a forum post can accurately predict the intelligence of the user and whether the discussion is worth clicking on. So there’s some benefit to stupid titles as well.
I’ve been editing a lot of titles to make them less annoying, which made me think it might be worth automating some of it.
Edit: Alternatively, these rules could be tied to user trust level. If somebody leaves posts in all caps with a ton of exclamation points in the title, they clearly should not be a highly trusted user.