Should we upgrade to each new beta?

(Mark Bernstein) #1

Apologies in advace for what’s probably an FAQ.

We’re happy with Discourse and not waiting eagerly for specific new functionality. Ought we to be upgrading to each new beta as it appears? Or would it be more sensible to wait for landmark releases?

(cpradio) #2

Depends, which one (version) are you on? As there was a memory leak introduced that the team is encouraging every to upgrade out of.

(Mark Bernstein) #3

I’m thinking about the general rule, rather than specific versions. We’ve been upgrading with each new beta, including this morning’s beta with the memory leak fix.

I’m wondering if that’s the best practice.

(cpradio) #4

Ah okay. We don’t. We wait for milestones or a feature we need. We actually upgraded to beta 4 in January and haven’t upgraded since.

(Dave McClure) #5

There are three possible branches you can track:

• stable: will only get updated when a new point release is made (about every 6-12 weeks)

• beta: gets updated with each beta release (about every 1-2 weeks)

• tests-passed: updated continuously (multiple times a day), after the automated tests pass each time code is pushed to the main integration branch

You should feel free to update as frequently as the branch you are tracking.

I believe the default install currently is set up to track the tests-passed branch, so the team feels that is a good, safe default.

But if you are prefer less frequent updates, you could just track stable.

If wish to switch to stable, wait for the next stable release to make that change in your config file: