Show Category and Topic Titles for users without access

(Carl Moebis) #1

We have tested several forum platforms, and they all seem to support some form of this. Where a user might not have access to a category or read a topic, but they can see they exist. They can even see the topic titles in latest, but when they click they are told they don’t have access to that forum or topic. bbpress, nodebb and ipb allows this, but I can’t seem to figure out how to do it in discourse.

If you’re asking “Why on earth would you want to do that?” because we have a wealth of content in private forums that we want non-members to know about, to entice them to join, otherwise they are only seeing the tip of the iceberg. Thoughts?

(Jay Pfaffman) #2

This comes up from time to time. I think that there might be a plugin that does some of whet you want.

One thing that I recommend is readonly access to those topics. In many cases seeing the posts but not being able to reply will be the push people need. (But in other communities, just seeing the posts is all people want.)

(Carl Moebis) #3

Thank you Jay. Can you point me in a direction for this plugin? I’ve been scouring around. Found something on Github that stopped dev about 2 years ago and others say it doesn’t work with the latest version of Discourse.

(Jay Pfaffman) #4

Oh. Well, if you’ve been scouring, that could be the one I remember. :wink: sorry.

You could post in #marketplace if you have a budget.

(Evgeny) #5

Need to edit templates. View the original and move the code from the plugin there.

(David Taylor) #6

You might be interested in my category lockdown plugin which does exactly what you describe. I suspect that’s what @pfaffman was thinking of:

If you let me know what keywords/phrases you were searching for I’ll add them to the topic so that it’s easier for people to find in future :slight_smile:

(Carl Moebis) #7

These plugins no longer seem to work with Discourse 2.1. Enable and set it doesn’t change anything: