Show favorite star only on hover?

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #1

Very much like the original suggestions. On a related note, could we please start showing the favorite star only on-demand? As in, star will only show if:

• Your mouse is hovering over that thread
  • You’ve favorited that thread

Remove stars and bookmarks
Topic List design experiments
(Rikki Tooley) #2

How would a user favourite a topic using only their touchscreen?

(Jeff Atwood) #3

For touch devices the hover behaviors are disabled. So this would only affect non touch devices, as it does now (reply as new topic in the right gutter, for example).

(Sam Saffron) #4

I dislike this, making this a “hover” thing will add even more visibility, prominence and focus to a feature that is only used 76 times a week on meta.

Showing stuff on hover is distracting.

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #5

Hmmm, you make a very good point. I don’t use this feature either, so my whole intention was to deemphasize the its presence. Which, as you pointed out, this may not do at all.

(Jeff Atwood) #6

Go deeper: maybe the real answer is to pull star out of the topic list, and “Starred” out of the topnav.

• You can always star via the topic itself, at the top and bottom of the topic.

• You can get to your list of starred topics via your user profile.

Does have severely negative implications for the “select a bunch of topics and act on them” UI though. Could be a magic column that appears only in selection circumstances, I suppose.

(Dave McClure) #7

I assume that’s how often people add things to their starred list? How often is the ‘Starred’ tab used?

I personally like being able to quickly get to starred topics without going through the user profile. If the data agrees that its useful, I could see hiding the star icon for topics that are not starred at all, but continuing to show it when they are, and keeping the starred tab. (Alternatively, instead of having the star always take up a full column of space, you could just show it to the right of the topic title - only for starred topics - where the ‘new’ and ‘unread’ badges appear)

If its only going to be available in the user profile, consider putting links to ‘bookmarks’ and ‘starred’ in the avatar popup menu for direct navigation / discoverability.

(Dave McClure) #8

The more I think about this, the more I like it.

@BCHK argues here for removing stars and bookmarks.

Starred topics work a little differently than bookmarks, but now that I’m thinking more about how I’ve used the star feature, in almost all cases, I could go with bookmarking the first post instead of starring the topic.

So I’m now seconding your proposal @codinghorror but I’d say:

• Remove the star feature, keep bookmarks

Bookmark isn’t as in your face as star, since its not on the topic page and it already fades out when you’re not hovering over the post. And those of us who might miss the star feature a little can probably use bookmarks instead for a large percentage of an already small use case.

(Bcguy) #9

My Vote - remove stars and bookmarks. Work harder to simplify the product.

(Sam Saffron) #10

We are totally fine with a site setting to strip this.

Personally I just want to merge bookmarks and star concept, bigger fish to fry now though, not an argument I can really win at them moment.

(Rahul Banker) #11

How do I disable the functionality to star the posts and bookmarks, BTW?

(Kane York) #12

Just hide it with CSS. You’ll lose your topic multi-select, though.

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #13

As per this change, this topic has been resolved and can be closed.

(Jeff Atwood) #14