"Show more" for search should open in new page

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #1

For quick searches the drop-down and titles-only view is perfectly suitable. However the “show more” button should actually show more in a wider sense than just additional search results.

This works:

This does not:

How about making the “show more” button take the user to a new page, showing search results with excerpts, similar to a user’s activity stream? I know discourse is all about not leaving the page, but I think once a user wants more than the top5 search results, they’re in full on “search mode” - it’s not just a quick sidestep any longer at that point.

Frustrated with Search in Discourse
(Bill Ayakatubby) #2

I agree. Google et al have accustomed me to seeing snippets with my search results.

(Luke S) #3

Couple of good points. If this were to be implemented, I’d think that the search page should also include advanced features. (AND/OR/NOT modifiers, limit timeframes/authors, etc.) If I am: [quote=“erlend_sh, post:1, topic:7975”]
in full on “search mode”
[/quote]

I want more flexibility.

(Jeff Atwood) #4

We eventually want to have a full page search option but there are a lot of tweaks and improvements coming for the in page search before that happens.

So it is on the list but I personally would not be holding my breath waiting for it…

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #5

Good to know. Frankly the in-page search is excellent and gets me what I want 9/10 times. I only see this being a problem on really big forums, so it’s fine to put it in the backburner.

(Sam Saffron) #6

It downs now :smile:

Go ahead and try it (only for topics though)

(Sam Saffron) #7