Show relevant setting-categories in admin settings search

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #1

A funny side effect of Discourse’s great admin search is that I hardly know where any setting actually resides. I can tell you there’s an max invites per day setting in Discourse, but I couldn’t tell you where to find it. “Just search for invites silly!”

In an attempt to educate myself and others as well as to create a better sense of place in the interface, I’m suggesting this addition to the search:

I’ve simply included the relevant categories underneath the all-in-one-bundle “All” that we’re all used to. (the categories and numbers in the mockup were picked at random).

• If you clicked on any of the categories below, it’d only show the settings matching your search term. In other words, the search filter persists through category drill-down.
  • If you clear the search while in a specific category, you will remain in that category but you’ll now see all options.

(Jeff Atwood) #2

That is how it used to work, I thought. I recall it working that way in earlier versions but it was removed.

(Kane York) #3

I have the feeling that this is a regression, not an intentional removal.

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #4

I knew I’d seen it before somewhere, just couldn’t come up with a reference…

Well, if it’s a regression I guess that means it’s coming back: Yay! :content:

(Régis Hanol) #5

Actually it was an intentional removal :wink:

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #6

In that case, what was the reasoning behind this removal?

(Dave McClure) #7

If I recall correctly, when it used to work this way, the confusing part was this:

If you were already in a category, and then you searched, your result may not show up on the page since it was in some other category.

Found this topic for some more context:

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #8

Aha, good find.

Well I agree with the change that forces you back to All when you’re using the search whilst in a specific category. If you need to search in a category, just use CTRL+F.

But that wouldn’t conflict with what I’ve described above.

(Sam Saffron) #9

nope it did not work like that, it was much more confusing. it used to magically filter on category.

The suggestion of always taking you to all but also adding breakdown by category seems fine to me. I support adding that extra info, as long as all is selected by default.

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #10

Everything suggested has been implemented with the exception of

If you clear the search while in a specific category, you will remain in that category but you’ll now see all options.