Show reply arrow and reply username on mobile

(Sam Saffron) #1

At the moment, mobile strips out all reply to information, on topics where there are a lot of back and forth responses this can cause a large amount of confusion.

This issue was raised on BBS and TDWTF. So its a “repeated request via complaint driven development”

It also bothers me personally. I use mobile a lot.

I think we should at least add an admin option to display the “arrow glyph”, though I would prefer username as well.

cc @awesomerobot

(lid) #2

I may not understand this feature properly, but having a reply glyph to tell that this message is a reply to "X"
will conflict with the current actionable reply glyph/button

(Sam Saffron) #3

not really, one is at the top and small, other is at the bottom, flipped direction and big.

(cpradio) #4

Plus it already exists for the Desktop version and no one seems to be confused by it… I think mobile should reflect this.

(lid) #5

except of the ambiguity of the two icons, (one left , one right ) does not intuitively tell you what is the icon for from a user standpoint

Take for example the current UI where people are confused with the “Like” button
do I like the post above or the post below?

Even if the icons are of different sizes it may still confuse the user in my opinion

As a user I always look for reply either on the top or bottom of a message.
if i find it on the header I will try to use it.

(cpradio) #6

Did you have that problem with the Desktop site? Take a look at your latest post, were you confused?

(lid) #7

the desktop version actually have a blue reply button with the text “Reply” in it
also in desktop you can get tooltip when you don’t know what an icon is for

(lid) #8

on desktop no. but when I visualized the mock @sam provided then looked in my phone UI
the icons seem too much a like specially that the phone UI does not have the word Reply

(cpradio) #9

Maybe make the actual Reply one dark blue text with a light blue background so it better matches the Desktop version and makes it even more different than the smaller one indicating the post was a reply to another post?

(lid) #10

@cpradio I created this mock to help visualize if there is a problem.
As it appears the in reply to icon is not a deal breaker and size difference does make it less confusing.

but may be using text for reply button can provide a stronger ui

Also if there is no user avatar in the theme, the UI can be “exploited” if by a chance the user nickname is "reply"
but I guess i am going too far :smile:

(Kris) #11

I really don’t like the glyph by itself, I don’t think it clears up any confusion.

I’d be fine with the glyph and username, it’s much less obtrusive than it used to be. We’d just have to make sure there’s enough room for really long usernames replying to other really long usernames.

(cpradio) #12

It also looks like there is room to put the word Reply next to the right pointing glyph. Which would take care of @Lid’s concerns.

(Sam Saffron) #13

I was actually thinking “glyph + tiny avatar” may be the way to go. That way you don’t need to allow for “longest possible username”

There is piles of whitespace there in mobile to allow for this even on my tiny iphone 5s

I totally agreed.

This is the major reason why I’m hesitating using Discourse. Guys we are now in mobile driven era :blush:

Please add some reply info on mobile.

Or maybe just disable sub-reply feature? (Is there option for it? I am waiting for my Discourse installation, and will check how it works)

(Jeff Atwood) #15

This is now implemented as tiny avatar + glyph on mobile. Enjoy!

(Jeff Atwood) #16