Show subcategory topics in /categories view

(Stefan Sobering) #1

Hey guys,

I’ll just preface this by saying, I searched meta.discourse.org before posting this. Couldn’t quite find what I was looking for although I found a few other threads referencing this issue:

https://meta.discourse.org/t/show-subcategory-topics-in-categories-list-summary/11977?source_topic_id=28040

Anyway, I have a community that relies on subcategories. The “latest” column in the /categories view is filled out fine, but the “topics” column is not, it just leaves a big white space. According to one of the previously linked threads this was taken care of in an earlier commit, but I seem to be having the issue.

Am I missing something in my setup?

(Sam Saffron) #2

This is not implemented anywhere and would require a customization.

(Stefan Sobering) #3

Thanks for the reply. Is this something you’d consider accepting a pull request for? Maybe adding a configuration setting for it? It’s something that we almost require for our community.

I’d be willing to put forth the effort required to make this change if it’s something you feel might be useful.

(Jeff Atwood) #4

There is already a site setting for this, but it requires suppressing subcategories in the hamburger. It really should be named “I have an assload of subcategories” because it changes a number of behaviors where it becomes untenable to browse a “flat” list of every category and subcategory. You can see how it works on forums.gearboxsoftware.com

(Stefan Sobering) #5

Thanks for the info. Apologies if this is a stupid question, but what setting am I looking for? I’ve been searching and can’t seem to find anything, which led me to posting this. I must be missing something obvious! Sorry!

(Jeff Atwood) #6

Well it does not do exactly what you are describing… Check out gearbox and see how clicking on a category works, what is shown in the hamburger, etc.

(Stefan Sobering) #7

This seems to be close enough to the functionality I’m looking for. How can I achieve this?

(Jeff Atwood) #8

“Show subcategory list”