Show Suspended Status on User Card

(cpradio) #1

Okay, so I’m finding that the fact this isn’t on the user card is making my life a bit harder.

It would be great! If we could someone indicate a user is current suspended on their user card. From a moderation standpoint, it would save me time in identifying if this currently flagged post is enough to get them suspended or if someone already did it without having to go to their profile to look it up.

A slight variation to this would be to add an Admin button next to Profile. So I can go directly to the admin page, see if they are suspended, and apply one if they aren’t. I’m all for trying to save on some clicks here.

Suspension reason on User Card seems un-civilized
(Robin Ward) #2

Good suggestion, we should make sure this gets done.

(Jeff Atwood) #3

I only support showing this for Staff, though!

You can take this change if you want @cpradio.

(cpradio) #4

Okay, one question, why for Staff only? It is public info

(Jeff Atwood) #5

It becomes a scarlet letter. As I said here:

Now, it will be visible to anyone who is interested in the state of that user, interested enough to visit their user page. But we don’t want to make it like a huge scarlet letter at the top of the page, showing up on every old post they wrote next to their name, or anything like that.

You could argue that clicking the panel is enough to indicate interest, versus explicitly visiting the user page.

(cpradio) #6

I don’t feel strongly one way or another, just wanted a refresher on your logic :smile: Your logic is good enough for me.

(Jeff Atwood) #7

It might be OK. Clicking or tapping the user is definitely indicating interest.

The main thing we want to avoid is showing suspension state every time you see the user, e.g. an :a: on their “clothes”.

(cpradio) #8

Okay so which do you prefer, showing it for all (which seems very easy to do) or only for staff (I need to investigate how to do this)?

I’m not strictly opposed to one over the other, I found the files that need updating, I’m in them, so I just need to know what is acceptable from a PR standpoint.

(Jeff Atwood) #9

I would display it as an overlay:

Suppress the usual “about me” which would appear there and just show suspension there (same as the user page) in the standard medium red color.

Suppress the About Me on Suspended Accounts on their Profile Page?
(cpradio) #10

Okay, I’ve got this done, just need to figure out where to place the styling so it apples to user cards and the profile page :smile:

Edited: Done.

(cpradio) #11

PR Sent
https://github.com/discourse/discourse/pull/2779

(Jeff Atwood) #12

This topic was automatically closed after 24 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.