Showing rules when posting to specific categories

(Daniel Hollands) #1

Our community has a Jobs category which has a set of specific rules which needs to be followed by anyone posting to it. These rules are currently held in a pinned topic within the Jobs category, but because our main page uses the Latest view, it’s rarely seen.

With all of this in mind, I was hoping there might be an easy way for the aforementioned rules to display in the browser any time someone tried to create a new topic in this Category.

I figured the trigger for this could be the category selected when making a new post, with the rules appearing in a modal if the Jobs category is selected.

Does this sound like something that’s possible? Or maybe you have another idea that would achieve the same aim.

Thank you.

(Lisa Wess) #2

Attaching on to this - I’d love to see this feature though my use is different; I’d use it to give people some guidance and instructions when posting to our support forums.

I’d love to have a feature like this.

(Jeff Atwood) #3

I am just going to warn you that nobody will read anything you put on the screen.

Not opposed to this, but fill the screen with advice and warnings and help, and you still will have users clicking the “dismiss” and doing whatever they want. A lot of them.

It is not a silver bullet by any means. And it will probably help less than you think. Again, not opposed, but I want to set expectations.

(Sam Saffron) #4

I agree, but think that the idea of a “category” template may work quite well.

Just pre-fill the editor with bunch of stuff when you select a category and composer is blank.

(Daniel Hollands) #5

This is true, of course, but it’s the best idea I could come up with. I think part of that can be mitigated by composing the information in a good way (i.e. bullet points, not walls of text).

(Jeff Atwood) #6

Duplicate of