Signing up with a reserved username - needs original email address

(Lee_Ars) #1

This is maybe a bug, maybe behavior by design, so I’ll use the bug category and we can go from there :smile:

I ran into an issue signing up for an account at the Boingboing BBS. Specifically, to claim my meta.discourse.org username, I had to sign up using the e-mail address I originally used to register here at meta, rather than the e-mail address I’m currently using. I switched addresses here at meta for gravatar reasons; it looks, though, like the reserved username database retains the registration e-mail rather than the current one.

This might lead to a situation where users are unable to claim reserved usernames—if, for example, a user no longer has access to the account that they originally used to register.

(Ian Carroll) #2

Well, the first part seems to be by design - That way, we can confirm that the person using the reserved username is the person who reserved it. However, it does appear to be a bug that when you changed the email on meta that it didn’t update the reserved username db. I’m going to open this as a bug on GitHub for ya.

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/issues/1119

(Sam Saffron) #3

OH god I just want to shut down GitHub tickets, personally I forget about crap in the GitHub queue, I really wish we just shut it down and used meta only.

(Sam Saffron) #4

Yeah, this does sound like something we want fixed @Neil

(Lee_Ars) #5

Hey, if I haven’t said it, @sam, thanks for kicking so much ass. You guys are turning out an awesome, fun to use product. Keep it up :smile:

(Ian Carroll) #6

Really? I thought you would prefer GH Issues over Meta. Whatever, it’s there on both places now :stuck_out_tongue:

(Kane York) #7

You can actually tell GitHub to allow PRs only.

(Jeff Atwood) #8

Ok your call @sam I am fine with PR only setting there.

(Jeff Atwood) #9

All right, issues is turned off. I closed the few minor pending issues, there were only 4, two of which were new very minor things today.

(Kane York) #10

Hey look, we got derailed!

So, is this [status-planned], or what?

(Jeff Atwood) #11

I personally view that as status-bydesign. If you change the email you originally registered with on site #1 of #100 that you join, why is that blessed as the master account? You’d have to change it on the hub itself.

(Neil Lalonde) #12

We could associate multiple emails to one username on the hub. If you change your email on a site, it can notify the hub of the change. Good solution?

(Jeff Atwood) #13

Possibly, but I don’t want to prioritize hub accounts at this time; we turn it off for most partners and customers as they want private namespaces anyway…

(Jeff Atwood) #14