Signup form for the homepage, even with a public forum?

(Andrew Chen) #1

Hi there,
I have two slightly competing goals for my forum:

1. I’d like to keep it open, so that it can be crawled by Google and I can benefit from SEO.

2. However, I’d like to get emails from users via signups, so I’d like to get a link to get them to signup.

Ideally, I could set the homepage of my forum to be a signup page, but if you have the URL to a thread or if you search on Google, you could still view the conversations.

Is there a good way for me to do this?

(Sam Saffron) #2

Have you considered `must approve users’ setting that way all new users will need to go through your approval queue and anon will still be able to access your site.

(Andrew Chen) #3

Sam,
would that end up setting the homepage to a signup form? That’s one of the main things I want to do, so that I can redirect people from my blog to sign up to the forums, and the first thing they’d do is to signup. (with the secondary of goal of still allowing SEO).

Is there’s a configuration option to make my homepage (for anon) a signup page? Or would that require me to develop a plugin or something like that?

Appreciate the quick response.

(Sam Saffron) #4

I see, if you want your homepage for anon to be a sign up page you would need a plugin (you may be able to pull this off in a site customisation as well)

(Jeff Atwood) #5

The sign up form is triggered via clicking or tapping “Reply” (on a post) or “Sign In” (at the top of the page).

It sounds like you want more of an ad banner exhorting people to sign up? We don’t really have anything like that at the moment, but you could put in a site-wide banner that says

Welcome! To participate here, …

(assuming you have account approvals on so not just anyone can join and immediately start posting)