Continuing the discussion from Brand new plugin interface:
I would like to create a dice roller plugin for the new Axis & Allies .org forums (link to current/old forums but I’m sure many others might want a generic dice roller as well. The site currently has two versions of the dice roller, one is generic and one is specific for Axis & Allies. For this discussion, I’m only interested in the simple, generic version. Once we have something simple to work from, then people can go create their own versions for Axis & Allies, Risk, RPG, etc.
You can see how it currently works on this post. The “mod” updates the post with some html with the dice results. The problem is that the use can update the post and delete (not modify) the results. So the work around has been that game play forums do no allow editing of posts.
In terms of workflow, I’ll try to separate what I want from the solution because maybe there is a better way.
- User indicates that they are about to roll for something. (optional)
- “Rolling my attacks for 6 infantry and 1 tank.”
- User performs an action to roll dice
- The dice rolling result is posted
1, 2, 4, 1, 3, 6and
- User responds to the dice rolls in a post (optional)
- “Two of my infantry hit and my tank hits for 3 total hits”
- Dice results may not be deleted
- Dice results may not be edited
- Editing/deleting any post in the discussion does not change the dice results
Basically, dice results are permanent. Preferably only the admin can remove them and only because, for some reason, people really like to “test” the dice roller.
@sam Does this answer your questions and help get the conversation going?