Simple-rss is buggy and should be forked or replaced

(Darix) #21

Just for complete notes: it seems simple-rss also breaks umlauts in titles

(Darix) #22

can we revive this discussion? discuss.pixls.us is using this patch for 2+ years now without any problems.

(Sam Saffron) #23

Ruby has built in RSS support, Module: RSS (Ruby 2.3.0) why not use that? I just don’t like the idea of adding all these extra dependencies.

#pr-welcome on removal of Simple RSS and replacement with built in Ruby RSS library.

(Darix) #24

Which brings us to the question why wasnt this used in the beginning? The module existed since 1.8.

Does anyone in the team still remember why simple-rss was picked?

(Sam Saffron) #25

@eviltrout built it, I don’t know why simple-rss was chosen that was many many many years ago.

(Robin Ward) #26

At this point nor does @eviltrout remember :slight_smile:

I have no strong feelings about what library is used as long as all the tests pass and things continue to work.

(Sam Saffron) #27

Yeah about that :upside_down_face: I am not sure there are any actual integration tests for RSS parsing discourse/poll_feed_spec.rb at master · discourse/discourse · GitHub

So my caveat is “as long as some new tests are written that test RSS parsing”

(Jeff Atwood) #28

@erlend_sh here’s an encouragement fund task mabye?

This took me forever, but here comes:

@darix Do you happen to have a problematic feed that I can use for testing?

The existing SimpleRSS implementation supports parsing a non-standard RSS/ATOM element for the SiteSetting embed_username_key_from_feed. Was this intentional? Should we continue to do this?

I managed to come up with a “solution” after digging into the RSS module’s source code, but I prefer dropping it if it is not needed.

/cc @vinothkannans, since the content creator plugin depends on SimpleRSS. (I am happy to PR a change to replace SimpleRSS for the plugin)

(Vinoth Kannan) #31

Sure. You can make PR once this one merged to core.

(Pat David) #32

Glad to see some movement on this! :smiley:

We were seeing some oddball parsing issues of XML RSS feeds from https://pixls.us. The posts were problematic as there were odd rendering issues that I ended up fixing by hand (spacing causing leading paragraphs to render as code blocks was one).

You can check the feed here to see/test: PIXLS.US

I’m happy to answer any questions.

(Stephen Chung) #33

Sorry to ask a newbie question… Just bumped into this topic as it seems like there is a core feature to consume an rss feed as topics? Without the need to add content creator plugin?

I was a bit confused too, and this cleared it up for me:

Essentially, although it does pulls content from a feed, but it’s really meant for embedding discourse comments.

(Stephen Chung) #35

Now i am really more confused. If it is intended to generate Rss feeds for consumption by others, why does it work in reverse? AFAIK from the posts it works perfectly as an RSS importer except for the fact that it doesn’t show the content.