Simplify how users can view source of each message

(Caue Rego) #1

Currently you can simply replace /t/[topic-title] for /raw and you’ll be able to see this. So, for unedited posts, url hacking is the only way.

( I didn’t want to revive / ressurect that old topic, although maybe I should… In any case… )

Continuing the discussion from Allow user to view source of each message:

There’s also at least another topic on the same subject.

I agree 100% in not cluttering the UI, but there’s already a button for viewing the source. The little pencil only appears when we edit a post. Why not simply keep it there always, with no numbers when there’s no edit, and a link to /raw?

I’d even suggest changing that little sometimes-red-pencil by a hourglass or something…

I’m actually only asking to know if this have been thought about and, if not, there’s the suggestion! :stuck_out_tongue:

Last case scenario, I can’t wait to find something this simple to do a PR.

(Jeff Atwood) #2

So for the .001% of users that want to view source we should clutter the UI for 100% of users all the time?

(Caue Rego) #3

We clearly have different pictures of what cluttering (and .001%) means, but I get your point! :frowning:

How about showing it only for posts that do make sense to see the source? :open_mouth:

Such as one that uses different things

(Tobias Eigen) #4

I think a natural place for “download raw” is on the revisions page - I often find myself wishing I could copy the source of a version to my clipboard to use elsewhere or to revert back to it. There’s plenty of space for a “download raw” link there. It’s already a power user feature so methinks would only be appreciated.

(Caue Rego) #5

I wasn’t even thinking about downloading raw, I’d say that’s another subject… I meant you would never be able to see how I did different things up there, unless you find out about /raw.

(Jeff Atwood) #6

Yes, but revisions will only appear if the post was edited outside the grace period, or edited by another user.

(Caue Rego) #7

He said the same thing as I did with half the words and more content. I want that power!

(Caue Rego) #8

Here’s another idea. Add the /raw link to the time there:

(Tobias Eigen) #9

if all you want to do is hack into someone’s post to see how they did something, what’s wrong with just using the /raw url?

(Caue Rego) #10

Well, what’s wrong with simplifying?

What if you don’t know about /raw ?

Now you’ve mentioned, anyway, I do agree with adding a /raw link to edit history as you said.

(Tobias Eigen) #11

this is what the meta category for the forum is for.

on my forum I have a tips, tricks and hidden features topic in meta that includes this and alot of other undocumented or hard to find discourse features.

https://forum.kabissa.org/t/forum-tips-tricks-and-hidden-features/723

(Caue Rego) #12

To me, the biggest difference between Discourse and anyhing else is the simplicity in the details.

This is yet another attempt to improve it.

Pointing hidden features to a tutorial, guide, google or cheat sheet might help realizing such a feature exist. It doesn’t help making it simple.

PS: your link is to a private forum with this description:

Karibu! Welcome to the Kabissa Forum!
Kabissa is a volunteer-led nonprofit with the mission to help African civil society organizations put technology to work for the benefit of their communities. You are welcome to participate in the forum and use it for peer learning, information sharing and networking. It all starts with creating a free account here by clicking SIGN UP.

Sounds like my own confusing forums except mine is open and have no such focused mission.