Single-post topic should be closed when merged with existing topic

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #1

I just merged a topic consisting of a single post with an existing topic:

https://meta.discourse.org/t/import-woltlab-burning-board-wbb-to-discourse/34495?source_topic_id=34499

Is it fair to assume that in such a case, a moderator will pretty much always want the topic to be closed? That was already my expectation, but I noticed the topic was still open after I’d done the merger.

Wrong post count in profile
(cpradio) #2

Hmm not sure. In most cases, if I’m merging two topics, I typically delete the topic that I moved all of its posts from, as closing it really doesn’t serve any purpose either…

I do agree that, I likely would either close it or delete it and not leave it open which would encourage a split discussion.

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #3

Well, I prefer not deleting topics but rather leaving closed ones as soft redirects to strengthen a prospective internal page rank in the future.

(Jeff Atwood) #4

Deleting is always preferred, so I deleted it.

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #5

Ran into this again just now. Merged this stand-alone post into an existing topic elsewhere:

I forgot that the original topic would remain visible & open, and before I could do anything about it the discussion had continued. My well-intentioned moderation effectively fragmented the conversation even more!

I still think merged single-post topics should be closed (and possibly unlisted) by default. It leaves a trail in case of confusion and lets the moderator decide whether it’s best to delete it entirely.

(Jeff Atwood) #6

Sure @neil can you add this to your list, a bit of special handling when all posts are split from a topic?

(Neil Lalonde) #7

It’s done. Consider it a present from me to you. :gift:

When all posts are moved, the topic will be closed.

Hide suppressed categories from "Your topic is similar to..."