Single Sign On and App Integration

(knwang) #1

I am curious what the plan is for integrating Discourse into an existing app.

We have an app with users, and want to build a community forum. We’d like that when the user goes to the forum they do not have to sign up or sign in, and that Discourse can integrate with our app to get user info.

(Kevin P. Fleming) #2

If I’m not mistaken, Discourse uses OAuth under the covers, so if your existing app can act as an OAuth provider, you’d be on your way. This isn’t really integration ‘into’ the app, though, it’s single-sign-on.

(knwang) #3

yes, that part is there. I wonder how easy it is going to be for deeper level integration - for example, my app my pull user’s posts and comments from the forum by discourse.

(Kevin P. Fleming) #4

Discourse is inherently a RESTful API service, and as you can see from the recent WordPress plugin, getting access to Discourse content from another application is quite straightforward. If you make the user’s browser issue the requests to access the Discourse content, it should ‘just work’ if you have implemented single-sign-on. If your app needs to pull Discourse content itself and any of that content is not public it would be a bit more difficult, but still possible.

(Kiran Patil) #5

Our usecase:

Paid app (Need to subscribe) + Community app (Free only when subscribed to Paid app but browsable by nonpaid user) (Discourse)

How to achieve this ?

Is it possible using Oauth ?

Please provide us some insights.

Thanks.

(Jeff Atwood) #6

Single sign on is now officially supported. See the howto category!