Site usability for poor eyesight

Hi,

I’ve had some issues where the light-grey on white default theme is causing issues for users with weaker eyesight.

The two most cited examples are:

• the fading light -> dark grey options at the bottom of a post (where the like/edit/reply buttons are)

• when a post is created, the text colour for created, last post, posts, views, etc

What is the best way to edit these colours?

Thanks

(Khoa Nguyen) #2

You can easily edit these color with CSS

(Jeff Atwood) #3

Admin, Customize, Colors comes to mind…

That was the first place I looked, it doesn’t change the colours for certain areas. The areas I was having issue with are:

(Jeff Atwood) #5

Other areas can be set via CSS as desired, as @thangngoc89 noted.

See admin, customize css.

(Khoa Nguyen) #6

Quick and Dirty approach:
.topic-map .map li .number { color: #fff; } .topic-map .map li a { color: #fff; } section.map.map-collapsed { background: #000; } .discourse-no-touch .post-cloak div.actions, .discourse-no-touch .post-cloak .post-actions{ opacity: 1; }

Just what I needed. Thanks for the help @thangngoc89.

@codinghorror, it was easy enough to change with a CSS override, but I’d be interested to know if others have found the same issues with the default colour scheme.

(TechnoBear) #8

I and others had difficulty with the pale colour of the post icons (like, edit, etc.) and the fact that they can be very hard to see except on mouseover. We now display them at a darker shade at all times, not just on mouseover.

(Michael Downey) #9

I’ve tried to do some CSS hacks to bring Discourse into standards compliance for visual accessibility. I also keep trying to push for design changes, particularly with respect to contrast ratios (the biggest flaw IMHO).

Please join me in my design crusade :wink: