Some improvements for topic splits

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #1

A couple things are wrong with this image. This is a post that was split off from another thread:

1. It says that codinghorror was the one who created it (it’s the same in the forum index, his avatar comes first). That’s a bug really.
  2. Although the right sidebar contains a link to the thread this was split from, I don’t think that’s obvious enough, as that could quickly be dismissed as just some post that is linking to this one. It would be really nice if the “In reply to” tab was kept, or at least the “Continuing the discussion from…” was used.

Closely related to this:
https://meta.discourse.org/t/add-branching-text-when-posts-moved-to-a-new-topic/8613?u=erlend_sh&source_topic_id=13107

(Kevin P. Fleming) #2

Are you sure that @codinghorror didn’t create it? Since he’s an admin, he may have moved the post by @codetricity from the other thread.

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #3

That’s what he did. But I’m saying he still shouldn’t be credited as the post creator. He didn’t make it, he just moved it. And as-is it’s illogical, because:

• It’s created by codinghorror AND last post is by codinghorror
  • it has 2 posts
  • it has 2 participants

(Kevin P. Fleming) #4

A small clarification: @codinghorror did create the topic, but he didn’t create the first post in it. This is pretty clearly reflected as the first post has the proper creator’s name and avatar.

Now granted this may be a bit confusing for someone, and it’s possible that an improvement could be made, but in this case I don’t think it would be proper for the author of the first post to get credit for creating the topic, because he didn’t.

(Craig Oda) #5

I don’t have an opinion about which is the correct way to represent this, but I do think that there needs to be more clarification about which of the three reply buttons a user should click.

Right now, the user base is pretty technical and can figure it out. However, i think that the general public may be challenged to figure out which button to click.

Right now, all the buttons are also different shades of blue.

(Kane York) #6

Maybe we could uncouple the “first-position participant” from “topic creator” in the database?

(Jeff Atwood) #7

Hasn’t been a problem in practice on the forums I’ve observed to date. And I have observed a … lot.

Locality is quite good, and that’s 99% of the problem:

• Want to reply to a post? Click reply on the button right next to the post.

• Don’t want to reply to any specific post? Click reply at the bottom.

Remember that “Reply as new topic” is suppressed for trust level 0 users (new users) so they don’t even see it.

(Craig Oda) #8

Good to know. I hope to deploy this and start running some social experiments from the admin perspective.

I’m sure that the problems can be solved since you’re so active in observing user behavior.

it’s actually pretty incredible how involved you are.