This is one of those presales type topics and I am not sure which section to start it in.
So I had been thinking about bringing content to the forefront of user experience. I had a rudimentary view in my head on how to keep front page, categories, use tags and make life simpler for anyone visiting the site for the first time. The way forums are structured these days is not very intuitive for a new age user. Take the very example of a post new topic button. So imagine my happiness when I came across Discourse.
That aside I had a few concerns about it. I want to do a test migration and play with it for a few weeks before doing the final switch (already feel the jitters). Had a few questions though before I can start:
- Is there a XenForo importer to migrate the forums? I don’t think anyone has bothered with it yet.
- Does anyone offer migration services and also help setup the permanent redirects so that I do not lose out on search traffic
- How about advertisements? How and where do I insert ads to be able to support the forum. Has anyone experienced revenue loss due to the infinite scroll nature of pages.
- Are there enough developers who can help setup a custom extension script should I need one in the future.
- I am used to the upload files and run installer from browser method in the past so I think this will be a steep learning curve to setup and manage.
- How does licensing work for the own setup, One time and/or recurring?
Once I have the test migration done I think I would be in a better position to evaluate other nuts and bolts.
Any guidance is highly appreciated.