Some tags not showing any topics

(Lisa Wess) #1

Hi!

We have a bunch of tags on our system. In some cases we have folks that click on those tags and see no topics.

I wasn’t able to reproduce… then I had an idea. Muted categories.

It turns out this person has most categories muted as they were being overwhelmed by notifications. I’m not sure if this is the cause but it is the primary difference in our accounts. The other is that her account is a moderator and I am an admin.

It is very unintuitive to see a tag with a count number after it and then see no posts in there. Is there something we can do here? The topics should be visible; they’re not in protected categories or any such thing.

(Jeff Atwood) #2

Are these public topics?

https://discuss.newrelic.com/tags

Which tags are an issue?

(Lisa Wess) #3

Many of them are. This was the first example:

[removed username] is the user reporting. Can reproduce through impersonation.

(Sam Saffron) #4

Hmm well this is working by design, what they need to do is surgically unmute the topics they still want to see. or stop muting categories.

Fixing the numbering and the top level is doable, its a bug in tagger I guess we can fix.

(Lisa Wess) #5

It may be working by design; however, it is not working “by string” - and by that I mean it is far more eager than described in the preference:

“You will not be notified of anything about new topics in these categories, and they will not appear on your unread tab.”

These categories still appear to the user with topics. Tags should not behave differently. Muting is, according to that string, to mute notifications and having them not sure up in “unread” makes sense. Having them not show up in the topic list is akin to having them not show up in the category list. In that case, the preference should be to “hide” - not mute.

I am really hoping that we can fix those lists of topics to be more inline with current category behavior. Again, the “mute” description describes a much different behavior than what is actually occurring.

Is it possible to hide tags similar to categories?
Private tags incorrectly shown in tags drop-down
(Jeff Atwood) #6

I agree with this, not having muted topics / categories show up in topic lists by tag is super weird @sam

(Sam Saffron) #7

Will see if I can add a bypass.