Spacing of the UX and typography

(mulpat) #1

Hi, I am wondering if I am the only one who feels a bit overloaded by the UI at first contact, by having a forum page showing so many details. I think there are these issues:

• too less space between visual regions
  • too small font-size
  • too many details and columns in the main forum view

(Jeff Atwood) #2

Provide a screenshot of how you feel it should look.

(mulpat) #3

I’ve tried to mark some regions of the screen where I feel that they confused me. Maybe this feedback helps. Thanks!

(Jeff Atwood) #4

A couple things.

• whitespace is intentional; see Edward Tufte for example. If you don’t like whitespace, you are free to change the CSS to your needs. We like whitespace with the default design.

• mouse over the symbols to see what they mean, provided you are on a mouse capable system.

• mouse over the times to see what they mean, provided you are on a mouse capable system.

• the post controls are dimmed until you mouse over them to reduce noise. This is only possible on a mouse based system, on a touch device they are full opacity all the time.

Please do spend some time browsing around before offering feedback, particularly on aesthetics. That said – the default design is not the final word on how every Discourse forum will look, any more than the default template that ships with WordPress is the final word on how every WordPress blog will look. If you want to build a custom CSS theme to taste, this is totally supported!

(mulpat) #5

Thanks!

The option to take different CSS templates like in WordPress sounds like a great idea.

(Jeff Atwood) #6

Take a look at the current design, which is a bit different (and I think better) than what we launched with.

It’s also supposed to be easier to style because it is more minimalist.

(Steve) #7

its super easy to update also, I use either firebug or chrome dev tools when trying CSS edits.