Here’s the scenario, which we’ve seen happen plenty of times over the years:
- User signs up, asks a question.
- Hours later, another user signs up, answers that question by suggesting software or a service and linking to it.
- Investigation finds that the IP address is the same for both users and the question was a setup.
Seems like an easy thing to check - if the post is from a new user and/or contains a link, check to make sure that the IP address isn’t the same as the first poster IP.
The actions could be either:
- Automatically hide post and message the user.
- Automatically just Flag the post to notify the moderators (preferable IMO)
It definitely would only stop a portion of the spam, but 99 times out of 100, when two new users have the same IP address in the same topic, something bad is going on. It would be nice as a moderator to know that two new users in a topic have the same IP address and are probably the same person.