Spam is catching more messages and I don't know why

(Bill Graziano) #1

I’ve noticed lately more messages that are false positives for spam. A number seem to be people posting Thank You messages. I checked the minimum message length and they are over that.

The GUI doesn’t display the reason it was flagged (that I can find) so I don’t know what setting to to change.

(Jeff Atwood) #2

This implies you have modified the minimum characters allowed per post. Have you modified the value?

Also: are these new users?

(Bill Graziano) #4

Well, this is embarrassing. I’ve hunted through my mail but I can’t find this notification. However here are some other threads that had issues:

On those two I don’t know if it was the original post or the follow up that was flagged. But it doesn’t tell me what flagged it so I don’t know what setting to tweak or what setting to ask about in here.

(I’m not expecting any great insight with this little information. The next time it happens I’ll capture more details.)

(Bill Graziano) #5

Here are two more that it identified as spam that weren’t:

These are both brand new users. It looks like one is from Croatia and one is from Israel.

(Jeff Atwood) #6

If new users are pasting in blocks of content as their first posts this will trip a lot of spam signals for us.

(Mittineague) #7

I’m guessing that is exactly what happened in the “Connecting” post.

It has p tags in the li tags

<li><p>text</p</li>

I don’t imagine anyone would normally format their post like that.