Spam links from deleted posts still show up in topic details list

(Lowell Heddings) #1

Most of these links should not be here because the posts have been deleted.

The original topic in question is here.

(Jeff Atwood) #2

Good catch the delete process should clean these up.

(Jeff Atwood) #3

Hmm that looks like a honeypot topic started by spammers with the express intent of spamming multiple replies. Is there any reason to keep it around at all?

Still a bug of course but that topic looks really suspect to me, every bit of it.

(Lowell Heddings) #4

Only so you would see it. Will close.

(Jeff Atwood) #5

Well I was more curious about the spamming pathology there, if spammers are regularly creating 3+ accounts to set up a topic plus “replies” that all happen to link to the same site…

(Lowell Heddings) #6

Yeah, but that’s pretty manual, and usually they are much more sneaky about it. What they’ll do is ask a question with one account, wait a certain number of hours (or even days), and then come back and say “Oh I solved my problem by installing Non-Free Crapware 2.0 [link here]”. Happens constantly, and there’s no real way to block it or stop them.

(Jeff Atwood) #7

I wonder if there is though. I guess if they only post the link in the reply, and wait a reasonable amount of time before replying with their sockpuppet account, there is no way.

(Lowell Heddings) #8

If you want to block some spam with an algorithm… I have a good candidate.

New users don’t put up almost the exact same reply to 5 different topics. That’s the action of a spammer… with the possible exception of a troll, which would be just fine to catch in a false positive net.

http://meta.discourse.org/t/is-there-a-way-to-block-this-type-of-spam/6145

(Jeff Atwood) #9

I confirmed on try.discourse.org deleting a post does remove any links in that post from the topic map/summary now.

(Jeff Atwood) #10