Special URL Separate from Homepage

(Safa Faheem) #1

Hi guys,

I’m back again with another question. I wanted to know if it is possible to have a “special URL” separate from the main public URL that would still take the user to our website but it would skip the login and go straight to the forums.

So, right now, we have our main website URL that I’ll call X. If I go to X, I see the home page and a “log in” button. When I enter my credentials and successfully login, I am taken to the Discourse forum (similar to this one) for our website.

How do I have a “sub” website URL, maybe called like X2, that skips the home page, skips the login, and directly takes the user to the forum? They probably shouldn’t have the ability to post but should have the ability to view and browse the threads.

Is this possible? Please let me know!

Appreciate everyone’s help as always.

Safa

(Rafael dos Santos Silva) #2

If the forum doesn’t have login required then X = X2.

Now, if you want login required and no login, yeah, you can’t.

Unless you wanna get fancy with SSO ou a plugin

(Safa Faheem) #3

Hi Falco,

Thanks for your quick response.

Well, the login required and not required would not be on the same website of course. I guess what I’m asking is, is there a way to create somewhat like a “preview” site that allows you to view the website with limited functionality and doesn’t require a sign in?

Hope that makes sense.

Safa

(Rafael dos Santos Silva) #4

Why you don’t just disable login required and use the same forum?

(Safa Faheem) #5

I don’t want to impact everyone using the site. Just one particular person who needs to preview the site.

(Rafael dos Santos Silva) #6

Invite the user, put him in a group with read-only permissions.

(Safa Faheem) #7

Hmm. Any other ideas, anyone?

(Joshua Rosenfeld) #8

No. As @Falco said, if login_required is enabled, then, as the setting says, you cannot get to the site without logging in. I cannot think of any other ideas than inviting the user to a group with read-only permissions (if you don’t want them posting),

(Mittineague) #9

You could let them in and then Block them.

(Joshua Rosenfeld) #10

I think the goal is to skip login…wouldn’t they have to log in to be blocked?

(Mittineague) #11

Yes. Thanks I missed the “no login” part and thought the goal was to have them not be able to post.

That being the case, the two ways that have been mentioned are the only ways I can think of.