Spinner on back button

(Johan Jatko) #1

Currently, when clicking the back button(on posts in particular), it scrolls to the top of the page, and just sits there until the previous page appears. It shows no signs of work being done and can get quite confusing at times because of the extra scroll to top which can look like a page load in itself. (Which makes the brain think you have accidentally double-clicked the back button)

What about fading out the current page (or just the content) and showing a loading icon until the previous page is ready to be shown?

Will demonstrate what I mean when I get home.

(Jeff Atwood) #2

Unclear – you mean the back button to the topic list? Where are you going back to? Can you give an exact sequence of events using try.discourse.org?

(Johan Jatko) #3

Sorry for the vauge first post, was on a phone.

1. Enter try.discourse.org
  2. Click title of a topic, preferrably one with many replies.
  3. Scroll down
  4. Click the browser back button.

What should happen is that it jumps back up to the top post, then jumps back to the previous page.

See the delay between clicking the back button and actually going back? (Its even longer on my phone, a Galaxy S3 using Chrome and the mobile view of Discourse)

It is during this part where id wish there was some loading icon instead of the two jumps, accompanied with fading out the post or something similar.

The 2 jumps makes you wonder if you double-clicked back, and the delay makes you wonder if you actually clicked back (sounds weird, but yes, old-school website’s react instantly on back, to atleast clear out the screen).

I hope this is alittle clearer.
(Off-topic, I am also trying to hunt down a bug regarding the history and the back button where it skips certain steps of the history, but I have not been able to reproduce it yet)

(Jeff Atwood) #4

Yeah, something is funky here. Looks relatively new to me. @eviltrout will check it out.

(Robin Ward) #5

I’ve got a fix ready for this, should be deployed later today:

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/commit/cae7af4b070762936197c026b9d151a129d74a6f

(Jeff Atwood) #6

This topic was automatically closed after 24 hours. New replies are no longer allowed.