Spoiler plug-in text legibility on 2012 Nexus 7 (Chrome)

(Bill Ayakatubby) #1

When trying to view “spoiled” text in Chrome 29 on the 2012 Nexus 7, the text is barely readable. As you can see in the screenshot, the blue selection background is overlaid on the black spoiler background transparently rather than opaquely. This presents a problem since, unlike on desktop Chrome, the text color doesn’t invert (remains black instead of turning white). Perhaps spoilers would be better implemented as collapsed <div/>s that expand upon clicking a “Show Spoiler” button. This would also have the advantage of being able to “spoil” images.

(Jeff Atwood) #2

I believe this is about to change anyway with the new spoiler support that @zogstrip and @eviltrout just worked on?

(Régis Hanol) #3

Yeah, the new plugin (which is not yet on meta) will reveal the text/image when the user clicks the blurred text/image. We still need to test it on mobile though.

(Régis Hanol) #4

The spoiler plugin has been deployed. @BhaelOchon could you test again?

(Bill Ayakatubby) #5

Was this reverted? It was working in this topic earlier in Firefox 24 on Win7, but now it seems to be using the old plug-in.

(Jeff Atwood) #6

Yeah I think it’s a server farm issue. Sometimes I see it, and sometimes I do not.

(Vikhyat Korrapati) #7

I don’t think it is a server farm issue, it has started happening to our forum (which is on a single server) as well after upgrading to the latest Discourse version.

I strongly suspect the problem is related to the use of Discourse.PostView.prototype.on in the plugin, because whenever I see the old plugin I also see this error in the Javascript console.

TypeError: Discourse.PostView.prototype.on is not a function

However typing Discourse.PostView.prototype.on into the console after the page has loaded does give a function:

function (e,t,s){return Ember.addListener(this,e,t,s),this}

(Régis Hanol) #8

I have a fix. Testing it and it should be deployed within the next few hours.

(Régis Hanol) #9

@BhaelOchon have you tested again after the fix was deployed?

(Bill Ayakatubby) #10

It took days just for my experience to be consistent on desktop–even after your fix 7 days ago. As of right now, though, the new spoiler plug-in works great on my N7.

(Régis Hanol) #11