SSO : what is the use of the about_me attribute

sso

(Nicolas_Blanco) #1

Hey hi!

I would like to know what is the use of the about_me attribute in SingleSignOn, here:

I’ve searched on the whole codebase there does not seem to be another reference of this attribute…

Thanks.

Nicolas.

(Robin Ward) #2

It does seem unused. Perhaps it was something @sam had intended on providing but was never implemented? Maybe he’ll chime in on this one.

(Sam Saffron) #3

Pretty sure that was meant to be bio and was simply a bug, we should fix it

I was also hoping to have our site bios override the discourse about_me via SSO.

(Alex Armstrong) #5

@sam: This still seems not to be working. I’d like to be able to override users’ bio field with the about_me parameter on the SSO payload. (I’d also like to be able to modify the website as well, if possible.)

Edit: unless I’ve missed something obvious, which has been known to happen.

(Sam Saffron) #6

Have a look at the test cases in the repo do they cover this?

(Alex Armstrong) #7

I’m not sure what you mean. It’s not in the spec (if that’s what you mean):
discourse/discourse_single_sign_on_spec.rb at 874c18cbc1c4768412cfe9ca08f416295f112c8b · discourse/discourse · GitHub

As the OP mentioned, about_me is not referenced elsewhere and seems not to be implemented.

(Sam Saffron) #8

At last, implemented via:

Use the field bio to pass in markdown for bio and the site setting sso_overrides_bio to have this only editable via sso.

(Matt Palmer) #9

I am extremely disappointed that the title of this topic isn’t, ":musical_note: What’s about_me? :musical_note: "

(Sam Saffron) #10

(Alex Armstrong) #11

Awesome @sam, thanks a lot!

I updated the main SSO topic with the new parameter:

bio will become the contents of the user’s bio if the user is new, their bio is empty or SiteSetting.sso_overrides_bio is set.