"Staff" category posts showing in digest preview

(Lee_Ars) #1

I glanced at my digest preview in the console just now, and I’m seeing two posts in it from the Staff category. Is this normal? Screenshot below—nothing secret in it.

(I know this happened last year, but my understanding is that it’s long since been fixed.)

(Jeff Atwood) #2

Presumably that preview is based on your permissions. But it is misleading since it implies that would go out to everyone @eviltrout.

(Mittineague) #3

From what I’ve seen in my tests (limited though they may be)
My Staff account gets emails that show staff topics, but…
my testing accounts that are not Staff get emails that don’t don’t show staff topics.

This was one of my concerns so I tested it rather early, but as the Core code is moving along faster than a tornado in Oz* it may have since changed.

*Kudos to the Discourse Team

(Robin Ward) #4

Yes the digest is absolutely based on the user it is being sent to, and the preview uses the currently logged in user. So staff will see staff topics and such. Perhaps we need to add some text to make that clear?

(Lee_Ars) #5

In a forum with a lot of activity, the “staff” topics will almost certainly never percolate up to the top, so this is likely not a big issue. But it’d still be good to have some note in the admin interface saying that the topics displayed in the digest depend on the user’s group memberships.

Filter by group in digest preview
(Tobias Eigen) #6

I just used the preview to generate content for a manually assembled newsletter - it works really well except for the fact that it displays all the private content as discussed. The hack to address this that worked today is to create a user with admin access but with all categories muted and tracked according to what should appear in the newsletter. Then use that user to check out the preview.

This was a useful exercise for me in any case since it made me review the recent forum topics and first paragraphs and make some adjustments for presentation and clarity.

Honestly, my preference would be to have functionality on the digest preview page allowing the admin to choose a group or trust level or maybe even a specific user to filter the results by to get a picture of what others are seeing.