Staged accounts in private messages

(Robert) #1

Consider this situation:

Alice writes a PM to Bob. Then, Alice invites Charlie to the conversation using Charlie’s mail address, because Charlie has not yet an account.

I expected that Charlie gets a mail with all former content and can reply by mail. I also expected that Charlie receives, once it accessed the web page to accept the invitation, all further replies to the PM until Charlie hat created a full account by setting a password.

I thought this would be the behaviour of users writing to topics per mail that allow anonymous (staged) users.

Is there a setting or which workflow allows so far to have conversations with many people only known by mail that do not want to care for a full account?

(Jeff Atwood) #2

Generally speaking, inviting emails is something we want to support better in the future since from our perspective a user is an email address first and foremost – that is their identity.

We have work on 1.6 slated for better, customizable invites so I’ll see what we can do.

(Michael Downey) #3

This happened for us last week on a DM I was in:

1. I sent a DM to someone.
  2. She replied by email and copied in a non-user, which posted in the DM “topic”.
  3. User replied to that reply, which also updated that same topic with a staged account.
  4. Discussion continued for several replies by all parties.

We are using SSO so don’t know if that made a difference.

(Robert) #4

Hey Michel,

this is very interesting. It is not 100% clear to me what you did.

1. Michael sent a DM to Account Alice
  2. Alice answered on the corresponding Discourse notification per mail and put a not yet to Discourse Account holder called Charlie in CC. That is what she did?
  3. Charlie got an inviation per mail, clicked on it, thus created a Staged Account and replied at least once to the topic. We assume that Charlie did not create a proper account because s/he might have been too lazy.

The point 4 is not clear. Did Charlie received notifications on new replies or used s/he always pro-actively the initially provided link to access the DM? It should be visible from the Discourse admin mail log.

(Michael Downey) #5

For #2, yes.

For #3, he can’t get an invitation because we use SSO. But because he was CC’d on the email from Alice, he did a “Reply All” email, which included the Discourse reply key address. This created a staged user and processed his reply. Charlie wasn’t lazy, he just replied by email because the message said he could. :slight_smile:

AFAICT, he just replied subsequently by email as well.

(Felix Freiberger) #6

There still is some strangeness in this. I just had this experience:

• An external user A wrote to a group inbox via mail, CCing another address B.
  • The other address B was invited to the message, according the web UI.
  • We replied.
  • The reply was sent only to A, not to B.

This is pretty confusing – I’d love to see that improve.