Start narrative bot (discobot) for existing users

(Robert) #1

I have two questions:

• how can an existing forum user can trigger the invitation to start the discobot tutorial
  • how can an administrator activate the discobot for some user the next time s/he does a login?

Thank you!
Robert

(Robert McIntosh) #2

The first is easy - any member can send a PM to DiscoBot (or whatever you have named the account) with the text: Start New User … and the process kicks off from there

For the second maybe you can send them a PM to ask them to enter the text above?

(Jay Pfaffman) #3

You can also construct a URL that will start the message as described.here : Discourse Narrative Bot Beta Feedback :

(Robert) #4

does it also work for administrators? My bot is too lazy to answer.

(cpradio) #5

It should. Just make sure you have Mailing List Mode disabled in your User Preferences.

(Robert) #6

I have maling list mode on, of course. I find this limitation confusing. So it’s not done with asking people to click a link. I first have to ask if the mode is on and then explain how this could be changed… :confused:

(Jay Pfaffman) #7

If you are interacting via email, most of the things that the bot asks you to do make no sense.

(Joe Buhlig) #8

I ran into this as well as @cpradio mentioned. The issue I had was that the bot doesn’t respond in any way when on the site itself and mailing list mode is on. You can send a trigger message and nothing happens. It’s a bit confusing as is. I understand the idea behind it but it’s hard to explain to new Discourse users. There are a number of folks who have MLM on so as to be informed of new posts on the site but do most if not all of the actual responses on the site itself as opposed to replying via email. If you fall into that category the current setup is far from intuitive.

(Jeff Atwood) #9

Maybe the bot should respond once when mailing list mode is on, telling people that it can’t respond when mailing list mode is on @tgxworld?

That would resolve the lack of information support issue this is generating.

I also totally agree with @pfaffman that 90% of what the bot says makes zero sense for people interacting via email, so the current behavior (but not the lack of “error message”) is indeed correct.

(Allen - Watchman Monitoring) #10

Ah, now I understand why I’d never seen or heard from discobot on my forums. We use maili

Perhaps messages from discobot could be excluded from emails? (Except for the one that reminds us to come back & finish later…)

(Robert) #12

That is potentially a major change, but what about this:

• currently one can configure to not leak content per mails.
  • let’s say this leak-setting is per message with a page-wide and user-wide default.
  • the user-default of the bot would be to notify per mail only to come back.

Other use cases: I want to write a very sensitive message and can configure uniquely that message to not leak per mail.

(Alan Tan) #13

Since what we’ve wanted since the start is to disable email for bot’s notification, I decided to have a crack and managed to extend our main code base to expose an option which will allow us to do just that.

Will test it out on meta before we backport.

(Tobias Eigen) #14

fantabulous. this is just what we need. many thanks! :rocket:

(Robert) #15

I have installed all updates yesterday. Is the bot supposed to never issue mails?

I am in mailing list mode and still got a message from the bot sent out per mail. It is this one:

just checking in because I haven’t heard from you in a while.

• To continue, reply to me any time.

• If you’d like to skip this step, say skip.

• To start over, say start new user.

If you’d rather not, that’s OK too. I’m a robot. You won’t hurt my feelings. :sob:

(Alan Tan) #16

The reminder message is meant to trigger an email to attract users back to the narrative.

(Jeff Atwood) #17

Right but I thought you added code to block all mailings from bot?

(Alan Tan) #18

Email notification for reminder message is not blocked. I didn’t add a global switch that just blocks all email notification by the bot. Instead, I added a option param that allows me to selectively disable or enable email notification by the bot.

(Hosein Naseri) #19

How can I do this? Is it disabled by default?

(Felix Freiberger) #20

Judging by the code, this is not user configurable, Discobot will always suppress mail notifications :slight_smile: