Status of the "back button?"

Hi all. We host with DiscourseHosting.com and I can see that they have our sites at 1.8.11 at the moment. A user of ours just asked where the “Back Button” has gone. To be honest, I never really noticed the back button before. I see in the Discourse 1.8.* release notes that there’s a few references to the back button coming and going. Has this button just been yanked altogether because it’s too buggy?

The mentions of the “back button” in the 1.8 release notes, refer to the back button of your browser. I think your user might be confused.

BTW you’ll be at 1.9.x by Monday :slight_smile:

Maybe the one in the scrollbar?

Hmm, Yeah, I don’t know. I asked for clarification and he said he uses it when searching the forums and that using the browser back button takes him too far back so he uses the built-in Discourse back button. I don’t seem see back buttons anywhere in Discourse at the moment.

Thanks @michaeld! Maybe the 1.9.x upgrade will help with this.

That is likely the case (or at least could be), but that back button would only appear if there is a gap in the posts marked as read in the topic.

It is there to take you back to the gap so you can continue reading posts you may have missed.

5 Likes