Sticky footer for progress bar and topic buttons

(Dave McClure) #1

Wondering if it would make sense to have a sticky ‘footer’ too:

1. anchors the progress bar
  2. gives a home for topic-action buttons
  3. potential new home for the ‘category’ badge(s)
  4. can get rid of the star above since it’d always be below

Ability to change tracking level from topic summary
(cpradio) #2

That’s an interesting idea…

(Gerhard Schlager) #3

So, how would the “Suggested Topics” be displayed when you scroll to the end of a topic?

BTW: I like the fact that I can always see/change the Tracking/Watching of the topic without scrolling to the bottom.

(Dave McClure) #4

(Jeff Atwood) #5

That’s an awful lot of “stuff” on the screen. Maybe if it only appears when you scroll up vs. down? But then it’s even more complicated.

(Dave McClure) #6

Agreed, it’s definitely too busy right now But if you think it has some merit, I can explore ideas to tidy it up…

(Gerhard Schlager) #7

Most of the buttons in the footer should be only visible if you are at the bottom of the topic.

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #8

I’m already uncomfortable with sticky headers on most sites. When they have two, I immediately feel claustrophobic.

That being said, there is some appeal to this, at least on desktop. I’m keen on more mockups :wink:

(Kris) #9

I was never really into the “scroll up to reveal header” functionality… but scrolling up to reveal the title/user tools and scrolling down to reveal topic tools sounds really interesting. It might suck in practice, but I’d be interested enough to try…

A few things would seem problematic:

• topic progress would disappear when scrolling up (maybe the bar disappears and progress stays? even more complex)
  • As much as I’d like to stick categories somewhere else… I’m not sure putting them in a sticky footer would make sense; is it enough to expect that users would just learn this and get used to it? maybe.
  • if I scroll down I can’t see notifications

Definitely wouldn’t want to show both at once… maybe if there’s a media query to detect really tall heights.

(Dave McClure) #10

OK, I’m backing off on this for now. I think solving the category problem is more important and this doesn’t seem the best way to do it.

(Jeff Atwood) #11

I think it’s more interesting to concentrate on ways of making the topic progress bar more useful, as an already-bottom-docked bit of UI – rather than adding more.

Per my previous topic.

(Jeff Atwood) #12

It’s a lot more likely this stuff is going to go in the right gutter in 1.5 1.6.

(Pad Pors) #13

may someone give me a hint what is a good approach to do this change?

it is possible via the admin/customize/html-css? or may it need extra plugin?

(Rodrigo Pereira) #14

This. As a new user, I’m reading a lot of stuff here on meta, and marking a few topics as watched or tracked, and on more than one occasion I did wish I could to this without scrolling down. Granted, it’s easy to scroll down with the control in the gutter. But still. Just my feedback as a user.

(Jeff Atwood) #15

This is covered by right gutter changes in 1.6 beta.