Strange behaviour in the user registration process

Hi!

I have observed what I consider a strange behaviour in the registration process of a new user. I’m sharing the case here so you can help me understand what happened and confirm if the system is working as intended.

Let me provide you with a bit of background first:

• We require authentication to read the content of the site since we are currently setting it up.
  • We allow new user registrations so we are able to test the account creation process.
  • We require staff approval for all new user accounts.

Since we are still preparing the site, seeing a user that I didn’t know in the users list surprised me so I decided to investigate.

Its username is Pamela_Peppermint. This user signed up using Facebook Login (we recently added it). The associated email was a suspicious Gmail address. At first, I thought the user could be a spammer. However, I realized that it could be a Facebook employee checking our site using a dummy account since the user connected from a Facebook Corp address:

Screen Shot on 2020-02-28 at 10-19-00.png

Now it’s when things get strange.

I see in the admin area that I just approved the user.

Since I didn’t recall doing it, I went to the Review queue to check when I approved that account. Given that we require staff approval for new accounts, all of them should end up in the Review queue. However, this user somehow bypassed it.

I turned to the logs to try to understand what happened, but I got even more confused. It seems that I had already approved the user a couple of weeks before (which AFAIK, I didn’t):

Screen Shot on 2020-02-28 at 10-33-57.png

Hence, I have the following questions:

• Why this user doesn’t show up in the Review queue despite staff approval is required?
  • Is it possible that a user can get approved twice?

Thank you,
Carlos

2 Likes

Lot of weird stuff for sure, and I’ve had similar :thinking: “duh” instances that usually get tracked down and end up being “dooh” :flushed: especially when I ask support to check it out and it was me

In this case, did the user ever change their name perhaps causing some of the confusion?

2 Likes

It might be the case here as well! In any case, it would be great if someone could provide me with answers to the questions posed:

The user didn’t.

1 Like