Struggling to understand when User Trust Level promotion occurs

trust-levels

(Dean Taylor) #1

One of the first actions a new user wants to take inside one of my communities is to upload a picture.

Obviously newbies are told to read a few topics when they complain about not being able to upload images.

But the complaints are occurring with more than 5 out of 10 new users (so over 50%)…

So I’m running Discourse v1.4.0.beta1 +34

I’m a but confused about when the Trust Level promotion occurs…

I’m probably missing something very basic in understanding this - or mis-reading these numbers

Sometimes when I spot the complaints I check the users and I see they have met the requirements…
… but the actual Trust Level promotion sometimes happens minutes later - other times - it feels like hours.

I'm using the default Discourse Trust Level Settings

I was expecting the following user to be promoted from TL0 to TL1 - but it hasn’t happened yet:

So based on the settings and the following description this user should be promoted already:

Seeing the above stats I would have expected that user to be promoted 1hr ago or more ago - at their last seen time.

EDIT: last seen time is now 2hrs and the user still hasn’t been promoted.

Any ideas?

(Jeff Atwood) #2

Last time I looked at this, the user has to close the browser and re open it, basically “go away” and come back in some form, then they get promoted.

It has been a while since I looked though. I suggest just allowing new users to post images in the site settings if that is the concern. It is not super risky.

(Dean Taylor) #3

If possible I would like to see the Trust Level and Badge provision occur in real-time whilst the user is on the site.

It would give the user good reason to continue to use the site immediately - regardless of the posting images limitation.

(Jeff Atwood) #4

It might, I am unclear when exactly it happens. It has been a long time since I tested this, so my advice above should be verified.

(except, you really should turn on images for new users, since if a valid use case on your site is for a user to sign up and commonly post an image as their first post, you simply need images enabled for new users…)

(Dean Taylor) #5

I tracked down the option that controls allowing new users to uploading images - it’s called “newuser max images”.

It took me a while because I was searching for “upload” :facepalm:

I also tracked down the code path for Trust Level promotion…
(assuming I am reading the code right)

Trust Level user promotion is checked each time a user enters a topic

Specifically in the class TopicsController before the show method is called:

(Stephanie) #6

It seems to vary. Having just signed up for a bunch of different Discoruses, I’ve ranked up several times in the past week. On some of them I saw the notification for Basic pop up while I was browsing, but one or two it happened when I came back to the site after having closed it.

(Mittineague) #7

It sounds like it depends on whatever the “last criteria” to be met is.
eg. if all criteria except “time” have been met, a new visit is needed.
if all criteria except “topics entered” have been met, it happens when the qualifying topic is entered

(Stephanie) #8

This indeed appears to be the case. I did one where I “read” the requisite number of posts very quickly and then parked on a post for 10 minutes, and didn’t get the badge until I closed it and came back. Then I tried two where I did the 10 minutes first and the reading after, and got the notification right away.