Sub-categories, establishing

(Doug Harman) #1

Is it possible to establish sub-categories (and are there limits to how many). Let’s say I have a political forum and I want to establish a category entitled “Pending Legislation” with a sub-category / discussion for each of the 50 states. Feasible? And, if so, how? Thanks!

(Kane York) #2

What about the D.C and national?

No, I think it’s better to keep the separations there informal. Just have people indicate the state in the title: “Georgia bill to remove foo bars from the baz” or “California Senate SB145 is killing our children”.

(John Oeffinger) #3

I think it depends on the situation in the individual states.

We are looking at creating a category for colleagues in the other 20 states that did not expand Medicaid. Initially we thought about grouping discussions, especially around specific pieces of legislation by state. Now, we are thinking of grouping sub-categories by types of legislation. If we find a specific state beginning to generate a lot of activity with increasing numbers of pieces of legislation and these include different types such as legislation dealing with coverage gap individuals, or expanding eligibility requirements, than we will group these into a sub-category for the state with all the types for that state inside the sub-category and then point people in the “type” sub-categories to the active state and the specific type.

(Michael Downey) #4

Getting more to the point …

Yes, and I don’t know how many 2147483647. (Thanks @Mittineague!)

Other than the number limit (which hopefully someone will answer), I suppose it only depends on how messy you like your UI, I guess. :smile:

(Mittineague) #5

Category Id is an integer.
The PostgreSQL limit for integer is …

If you have that many Categories I think you have more to worry about than whether or not the database can handle it. :wink: