Suggestion: Reduce link count clutter

(Dave McClure) #1

The cleanliness of the Discourse UI is one of its most appealing features, so I hope this type of nitpicking is helpful.

I really find the inline link counts to be unnecessary clutter. Its a very cool feature to see the count of the clicks - I think it is informative. But I don’t think they belong in the paragraph text. The belong in the sidebar (and they are already duplicated there).

Below is a screenshot of the post I was reading when I had that jarring moment and felt compelled stop and post this.

(Eric Walker) #2

Or perhaps just an on-hover tooltip.

(Jeff Atwood) #3

The only counters that are duplicated are links to other discourse topics. It is a fair point that we could de duplicate there. But external links are not shown in the right gutter, only internal links to other topics are.

(Dave McClure) #4

@modify - I think the counters are better without the hover - its useful to be able to quickly compare how many clicks each link has, which would be pretty difficult if you have to hover over it to see it.

@codinghorror - I’d actually love to see external links in the right gutter anyway, with a different icon to distinguish (arrow pointing up and to the right?) It’d just be an added benefit that you could de-duplicate the counters by keeping them in the gutter for all links.

I suppose it’d take a little research or experimentation to see if the external links in the gutter just become more unwanted clutter, but my guess is that it’d be beneficial overall…

(Jeff Atwood) #5

No, I would strongly oppose such a change. Only internal links get privileged treatment, the idea of moving “laterally” on a forum to other related discussions is very important, far more important than random external Internet links.

I do think the idea of suppressing double counts on internal links – since you will see click counts in the body and in the right gutter – is a good one though.

(Dave McClure) #6

OK, I’m with you for the most part - I immediately enabled the ‘open external links in a new tab’ preference when I saw it (It should be on by default!).

So do I think external links should be visibly distinguishable from internal ones. I imagine more oneboxing is really what you want to see, (pull the content into the page).

There’s still something attractive to me about putting all the external links referenced in one place (perhaps at the bottom of the page?) - but I do see your point.

(Jeff Atwood) #7

I agree with this and it also applies to oneboxes as well where link counts are repeated.

I hope @eviltrout can get to this this week.

(Robin Ward) #8

I’ve just pushed out a commit for this:

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/commit/8538e31fb4c1bf9d888c8e2eeee9243e932dcc42

Should be out next time someone deploys.

(Jeff Atwood) #9