Support for Opera

(cpradio) #1

Okay, I’m fairly certain I know the answer, but we have a few long-time members who solely use Opera 12 (because Opera 15-24 do not include ALL of the functionality that exists in Opera 12, they aren’t upgrades, but a rewrite) – Plus Opera 12 is technically the “latest” version in Linux (there isn’t a 15-24 for Linux).

Anyway, Discourse doesn’t function well in Opera 12 AT ALL. Composer Window is a nightmare, buttons in the composer window are flake-y, Editing a post, is annoying, as the cursor jumps all over the place, etc.

Should I write these up as bugs or since Opera isn’t listed on the FAQ, it is just considered “unsupported”?

And yes, I found this topic, but it doesn’t exactly have any discussion…

(Luke Larris) #2

I would count Opera 12 or any version of Opera with the Presto engine as obsolete and unsupported.

It does sadden me though how Opera dumped everything in favor of making a clone of Chrome, I believe they were really innovative in the browser space before the switch to Blink. But so many sites had issues with Presto and marketshare was (and still is) dwindling.

(cpradio) #3

That’s sort of sad since Linux has no choice when it comes to Opera but to use 12 or lower :frowning: If I had a choice… that’d be a different story.

(Luke Larris) #4

I think the dev’s reasoning is that you do have a choice to use major browsers such as Chrome (or Chromium in your case) or Firefox.

I can’t speak for the devs though.

I agree, opera was a good idea in 2009, but without strong adoption and following its not really worth the effort.

(Sam Saffron) #6

I think this is overstating it a bit, it seems to function, albeit has a few glitches. I am not against accepting PRs that improve it, but the core team are not going to spend too much time fixing Opera 12 specific issues.

typed from opera 12 on my mac

(cpradio) #7

Key words “function well”. If you don’t want to do any formatting, editing of posts, then yes, you can say it functions :smile:

There are also a lot of issue with smilies and editing posts/quoting – in that the smilies entry doesn’t disappear and leaves you typing behind it. It isn’t going to be a simple process (I don’t think).

With that said, there are a lot of JavaScript errors that occur in Opera too. What is the easiest way to load a non-minimized version of the JavaScript in Discourse so I can see where the real issues lie?

(Sam Saffron) #8

You would have to run this in a dev environment.

(cpradio) #9

Hmm… I thought I did that and still had a minified JS. I’ll have to attempt that again.

(cpradio) #10

@sam,

Okay, I’ve discovered the majority of the composer issues with Opera surround this line (in Markdown.Editor.js):

isOpera: /opera/.test(nav.userAgent.toLowerCase())

If you force it to be false, Opera 12 works MUCH better and Opera 24 continues to work just fine (it never had these issues prior).

I’m tempted to strip out the isOpera and all of its checks from this file, however, the file seems to originate from PageDown. Is this something that would need to originate within that project? Or is it safe to only push this change within Discourse?

(Sam Saffron) #11

I say strip that, its probably around ancient opera support.

Long term we plan to rewrite those bits in ember anyway. We are only using pagedown for the editor shortcuts.

(cpradio) #12

:slight_smile: Great! There are still a few other small “issues” I want to investigate but this literally solves half my list! :smile:

(AstonJ) #13

Opera 12 was my favourite browser, but I agree it is obsolete now.

(Jeff Atwood) #14

Definitely strip that, we do plan to rewrite the editor in Ember. Maybe that should be a V1.1 thing for us.

(cpradio) #15

If you decide to officially make it a 1.1 item, is there a general idea for a release date for 1.1? I won’t hold you to it, but if you say “Fourth Quarter” or “by the end of the year”, I may limit how much time I spend on getting the “current” functionality working with Opera.

If you say, Spring of 2015, that’s a different story.

(Luke Larris) #16

It will probably be released When It’s Finished™

(Sam Saffron) #17

Just focus on small PRs, I don’t see you needing any major changes here, we are probably 3-4 weeks out from 1.1

(cpradio) #18

So now for a blunt question, does this mean the Discourse team is committed to making the rewrite of the composer part of 1.1? Or is it possible it may be pushed to 1.2? (either way I’ll only focus on small changes)

Either way, I’ll focus on small changes, just curious as to what extent :smile: The big issue I’m trying to fix right now is getting the buttons to function properly in Opera 12. The keyboard shortcuts now work, but the buttons are being a pain. I feel like I’m close, but there is something throwing it off and I haven’t figured out what exactly.

(Sam Saffron) #19

Rewrite of composer will not happen until 2015 unless someone from the community steps in

(cpradio) #20

Okay. Good to know. I’ll keep pushing on a few Opera changes then :smile: