Support of sidebar plugins

(Jay Abie) #1

Hello friends,

I have tried most of the sidebar plugins here but no one of them is working with me, am not sure all of them are broken because some of them updated recently so that means am not doing it correct:

What i want to do exactly is i want a sidebar appears only on the homepage/ desktop contains the categories with post counter (number of the posts in each category next to the name) if possible an appears on the right side because my website is RTL.

Here is an example of what i want to do.

(Evgeny) #2

You can look at this:

But unfortunately, I have little time to support this plugin. But I think it can be a example for implementation.

I did it for this plugin.

(Jay Abie) #3

Thanks for your response, i don`t know what to do now, can you please tell me which one of the above mentioned plugins i have to install ? of course if you have some time.

and what is the next step, lets say i installed your plugin, how i can put the setting ? i just want to show the categories on the sidebar - right side with counter if possible.

Thanks in advance.

(Jay Abie) #4

please note that i have installed the one from angus you mentioned above but didn`t work with me.

(Evgeny) #5

Plugin layouts-category adds a category to the plugin Custom Layouts.

You must have these two plugins installed. But the plugin (layouts-category) is not supported. (

(Jay Abie) #6

Unfortunately its not working this time also

(Jay Abie) #7

Am using the plugin below:

and the settings are like the below:

but nothing is showing on the sidebar, what could be wrong ? see picture below, the sidebar space is there but with no content.

(Evgeny) #8

Hmmm… You can corrupt your installation instance of Discourse by installing untested plugins.

Плагин давно не поддерживается:

Toxu-ru/discourse-sidebar-blocks

All you have to do is install the plug-in:

Then try to install: https://github.com/Toxuru/layouts-category

(Jay Abie) #9

Can corrupt the discourse means i will lose all the data ?
in fact the plugin in `Toxu-ru/discourse-sidebar-blocks worked fine but am using a line of CSS to hide the head banner from the loggedin users which is hiding the content of the sidebar also, so when i logout i can see the content without any problem, how i can fix this issue ?
the code am using to hide the banner is below:

.section-header { 
    display: none; 
}

.anon .section-header {
    display: block;
}

(Jay Abie) #10

i just want to have HTML content on the right side of my homepage - note that my forum is RTL.

(Evgeny) #11
  1. You need to install the plugin: GitHub - angusmcleod/discourse-layouts

This plugin implies that you can do whatever you want in the future. As far as I know, there you can add HTML widgets to the side column. You can also try adding a category plugin.

I genuinely don’t understand why you use: Toxu-ru/discourse-sidebar-blocks

It is not supported, and I even forgot already that there. I can’t be of any use to you with this old plugin.

The discourse-layouts plugin does whatever you want. Try to install it.

(Jay Abie) #12

Sir,

Because this plugin is the only one worked with me and shows the content on the right side

i just installed GitHub - angusmcleod/discourse-layouts

please allow me to explain why the plugin from angus is not working with me
1- in picture below the sidebar is only activated on the right side, and look how showing on the left !!:

2- in this picture the sidebar is only activated in the left side and look also is showing at the left side, so in both cases is showing at the left side:

also i cant see the option or the field of HTML. do i have to install extra plugin to have the HTML Field ?
see the picture below and advise where i should add my HTML content ?

(Evgeny) #13

I wrote a letter. And I a bit doubt, to publicly clutter up forum, private questions.

I just came across this issue, personally.

It’s been a while, so my help might not be useful, but FWIW, I think the confusion comes from this:

There’s are two settings which have to match or this won’t work.

You have to add the preferred routes to “layouts sidebar left/right enabled” and then ALSO go to admin -> layout and select Position to be the same side for the desired widget. If they conflict, you see nothing.

This is further complicated by the fact that some middle eastern localisation swaps the sides so everything might be reversed? :slight_smile: