Suspend a user forever

(Jared Needell) #1

Is it possible to suspend an account forever?

From what I can see you can only suspend for an N amount of days

Maximum you can do is 99999 - which equates to 273 years :smiley:

(Jared Needell) #4

The problem with that is Discourse is so awesome that I’ll probably still have it then managed by a SysAdmin in about 10 generations from now.

Also the public profile shows an end date, It’d nice if it could just say FOREVER!

(Jeff Atwood) #5

This is intentional, we want “forever” suspension to be a bit more difficult so people seriously think about having actual suspension lengths rather than mindlessly banning people forever.

(Also if “forever” is your goal all the time, then maybe it’s a spammer and you should just delete them with prejudice. That’s completely supported.)

Ban hammer forever?
What to do when someone leaves the company?
(Jared Needell) #6

The idea is since this is a corporate forums, we have employees who leave and we don’t want to delete their account. However we’d like the user to get flagged somehow so that people who search back see that this user in the forums is no longer with the company.

(Mittineague) #7

If you Anonymize them they are effectively Banned

(Jared Needell) #8

What does the username say on their past forum posts?

(Mittineague) #9

AFAIK the number is randomly generated, but except for posts with quotes and ?u= links (and rebuild HTML might change that, I haven’t tested that yet) the account is changed to

I noticed on a forum there is deleted accounts names that!

(Sam Saffron) #11

Why not change the email to an email they do not control and put some information in the “about me” section, you can even add a title to the user “Ex employee” which will show up everywhere. I don’t think banning is what you are after here.

(cpradio) #12

Or Deactivate the account. That is doable and I think prevents it form logging in. And unless they submit a “reset password” request, they can’t reactivate it themselves.

(Michael Marner) #13

We run Discourse for a community organisation, for discussion between members. If a member leaves the organisation, we need a way of disabling their account. However, we don’t want their posts to disappear.

Is the only way to accomplish this deactivate their account and set their email to some random email? It seems kind of clunky that there isn’t just a button for admins to disable an account.

(Allen - Watchman Monitoring) #14

The problem w delete or anonymize is that they can come back. Near as I can tell.

(Michael Marner) #15

Our forum is invite only/admin approve, so we don’t have to worry about ex-members coming back, we just need a proper way to disable the account. Deactivating on it’s own doesn’t solve this, since the user just needs to re-verify their email address. Banning doesn’t solve it either, because there’s a mandatory time limit.

(Mittineague) #16

This is true.

But if you set it to 99999
the chances are the member will expire before the time limit does.

(cpradio) #17

Just deactivate it. There is a Deactivate button on the Admin User page. They won’t be able to login anymore either (from what I recall). Granted, you may need to customize this text to prevent them from re-sending the activation link (not sure how that works on invite-only systems).