Swapping out topic list stars with tracking status

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #1

Continuing the discussion from Rename “Dismiss Unread” to “Stop Tracking Topics”:

I’d like to suggest a change to the topic list:

Instead of the Favorites star, you get to see up front which topics you’re actively watching, tracking or just regularly reading.

You could also make it so that clicking this icon would invoke the tracking-status menu:

This makes sense to me because “Untracking” is a thread-by-thread action, not a bulk action.

Rename "Dismiss Unread" to "Stop Tracking Topics"
(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #2

The blue might be a bit much. Here’s more subtle version:

(Sam Saffron) #3

You know where I stand on stars, wish I could kill it with fire

(probus) #4

I like the idea that you could see and toggle which topics you’ve subscribed to in the topic list, but this looks way too busy. I think the whole notifications/tracking/stars/bookmarks functionality could do with some usability work.

It can’t be that hard to get rid of the stars and still enable bulk selection?

This is a great idea. I wonder if the “New” or “Unread” could be incorporated into it somehow so that it is coloured if there is a new post. Then you can click it to see your tracking options and edit them accordingly without going into the thread.

(Sam Saffron) #6

i like this but at the same time it would be a huge problem for me on sites like meta, I track everything and it would introduce a lot of clutter and repeated icons.

(Jeff Atwood) #7

Why is this necessary?

I cannot see what problem this solves for me that I have now? I can’t even tell you what user requests this would satisfy, because I can’t think of any.

As far as showing you a list of what topics you are tracking or muting or watching, I believe those lists should (eventually) be triggered from your user page, as that is a per user preference. And right now there is a querystring to show it if need be.

The topic list is already pretty busy, adding even more extraneous info to the topic list would not be good.

(Bill Ayakatubby) #8

I appreciate where you’re coming from, but I’d rather see checkboxes in that space for multi-select, and then a menu where I can change the tracking status of several topics at once.

https://meta.discourse.org/t/act-on-topics-from-list-view/1700?source_topic_id=18532

(Rikki Tooley) #9

I’m 99% sure this is already in - there’s a toggle at the top of the stars column which turns them into checkboxes.

Either that or I’m having premonitions…

(cpradio) #10

I think that is only true if you are Staff… and that is so you can do bulk moderation.

(Rikki Tooley) #11

Ah! @BhaelOchon’s linked post talks about giving mods the feature so that is what I was referring to. Not sure how useful multi-favouriting or multi-watching would be for regular users though.

Back on topic, can someone explain the difference between a Watched topic and a Starred topic? Funny that this sort of question always comes up with stars - there are like three different concepts(like :heart:, watch :large_blue_circle:, bookmark :bookmark:) that Stars :star: overlap with…

(Bill Ayakatubby) #12

Just to be clear, my linked post does also mention bulk actions for regular users, specifically favorite star and flag. :wink:

Stars overlap with bookmarks in that they are essentially topic-level bookmarks, whereas the built-in bookmarks feature goes down to the post level. Stars and bookmarks are basically quick reference lists. They have no other effects.

Tracking a topic will cause new replies to make the topic show up in your “Unread” list from the main nav.

Watching a topic takes Tracking one step further and will also cause new replies to generate a notification in your notifications menu.