Syncing Joomla user database

(Tom Wrench) #1

Has anyone tried to set up Discourse with their Joomla site or can anyone help? I’m wanting to sync users between my Joomla db and Discourse (so those who are registered on my Joomla site can login to Discourse with same credentials (and vice versa).

Thanks in advance for any help.

(Michael Downey) #2

You could use SSO so they can log in with the 3rd party credentials. But that won’t keep the user DB’s in sync between the two sites, users will have to manually log in.

Still hoping for some type of sync solution here so we can @mention users that haven’t signed for the first time to “create” their accounts on Discourse.

(Tom Wrench) #3

Yeah, just from a user point of view, I think it would be confusing to register for an account on my Joomla site, then have to register another account on Discourse. I can see users getting confused trying to login with their Joomla credentials on Discourse, which obviously wouldn’t work if they haven’t registered a separate account on Discourse.

Any ideas to potentially stop this confusion?

(Michael Downey) #4

To be clear, SSO can be implemented so an interactive registration is not necessary on Discourse. Just go to Discourse, click the sign in, and you’ll be redirected to your authentication provider, and passed back to Discourse with everything needed to create your account in the background. You’ll be instantly “signed in” as soon as you do so. My only concern is that the accounts don’t exist within Discourse until this first sign-in.