Tag Filter Bug - All Tags Not Showing

When we return to homepage and see the tags we get list which is incomplete.

When we reload the page by clicking reload option next to URL then the tag filter brings the rest of the tags

[Note we only have three tags currently. The forum is new]

2 Likes

Can you repro this @jomaxro?

1 Like

Hi @Nrsinga_Dasa, I’m going to need a few more details so I can properly test this. You say “when we return to the homepage”, what are you returning to the homepage from? Are you missing the tag immediately after it’s created? On every load of the homepage? Something else?

If I make a post and add a tag, then click on the Discourse logo to goto back to homepage (which is our category box list) it does not show the newly created tag. Only if I refresh the full page on the site next to the URL do the tags show.

Even if I delete a tag from a post and come back to the category box list by clicking Discourse logo it does not show it is gone until i refresh.

What I noticed is if I goto a category with posts that have say 2 tags in the category when i return back to category list whether through clicking Discourse logo or select All Categories from drop box selection box it will only show the 2 tags and not all the tags.

1 Like

Thanks for the details. I can repro this, but only when the homepage is set to Categories. The issue does not appear to occur when the homepage is Latest.

4 Likes

Hello Joshua,

That is correct. Only when homepage is categories. For Latest it shows all.

@vinothkannans can you add fixing this to your list. Not super urgent.

6 Likes

I was about to report this and then found this and other previous reports on the same thing.

@sam Can you give an update whether this is still in someone’s to do list?

Simple steps to reproduce here in meta:

1. make sure your default Homepage is set to Categories
  2. visit the Theme category
  3. select a tag, eg, theme-full
  4. go to homepage and click the tag filter: only displays the tags from the previously visited Theme category
1 Like

I’m able to reproduce the issue. I will work on it soon.

4 Likes

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/commit/38dd184a16f38fed1f011eeb39de580a301b8f4e

Fixed in the above commit. @mentalstring can you please check it now?

8 Likes

Thank you for looking into this. I can no longer reproduce this here on meta, but on the forum where I have bumped into this, it’s still present for some reason.

It’s on tests-passed and I have rebuilt the container. I have confirmed that the commit is in there, and the version/commit hash on the page source matches the one here on meta. Even tried with an incognito window in case it was browser cache playing funny. Can still reproduce the issue in pretty much the way I described it earlier, just with our own tags/categories.

Is there any extra step I’m missing to get this fix?

My Discourse instance is currently behind login which is why I’m not linking it here. Can provide access, but will require some hops to setup.

The above commit should resolve the issue. What is your “desktop category page style” site setting value?

That seems to the difference: I tested setting it to Categories and Latest Topics and then it behaves (correctly) like here on meta . But with it set to Categories only, the issue is still present.

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/commit/2e397c78c405940236056d391d93bd7bdf18dec8

I added a more clean way to fix this issue.

1 Like

Sorry, still no go here. :frowning:

I have just tried all values of desktop category page style: it works well with all except with

1. Categories Only
  2. Categories with Featured Topics

I did rebuild and confirmed the latest fix is in there.

It is working well for me both in my local dev environment and sandbox site. Can you please test it again?

4 Likes

I have rebuilt again today — same thing. I have messaged you a video of it being reproduced.

If there’s anything else I can do to help debug this, I’m happy to help. Can also work with you to provide you access to our sandbox, if that helps.

It looks like I fixed two other similar edge cases except for the one you’re facing :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:. I will check your issue soon.

6 Likes

I pushed another fix. Let me know if you’re still facing the issue :crossed_fingers:

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/commit/8a031f19dcfdf926cbc9eba4eb73ade61fa0e41d

6 Likes

I’m happy to say that you have nailed it this time! From some quick tests, it’s behaving as expected now. If we bump into any other edge case (unlikely), I’ll report again.

Thank you for the persistence and patience to look into this multiple times. It’s appreciated.

6 Likes