Take down site during maintenance

(Ankhamax) #1

Is there anyway that we can take down site during maintenance from the admin section?

(Régis Hanol) #2

What do you mean by “take down”?

(Jay Pfaffman) #3

Do you mean have the site display a “We are upgrading. Please come back later.” message rather than return an error?

(Ankhamax) #4

@pfaffman Thank you. That’s exactly what I was looking for.

(Régis Hanol) #5

Then you will need a web server in front of Discourse to handle these requests and show up whatever maintenance message you want.

(Jeff Atwood) #6

I do wish our default Discourse cloud install handled the rebuild downtime a bit better, perhaps with some kind of nginx message about “site upgrading, please stand by for 5-10 minutes” but it’s low priority.

(Régis Hanol) #7

Then we’ll need to move nginx out of the container or make the 2 containers install the default one.

(Jeff Atwood) #8

Yeah it might not be an easy change, which is why it’s low-pri…

(Felix Freiberger) #9

Maybe a howto can lower the pain in the meantime? I did set up an outer nginx as described here, and added a tiny bit of configuration:

location /errorpages/ {
    alias /var/www/errorpages/; # place discourse_offline.html here
}

location / {
    error_page 502 = /errorpages/discourse_offline.html;
    # ... the usual stuff
}

This handles the main part of the downtime, although the inner nginx still provides its ugly error page while Discourse is starting, before rails is ready. Fortunately, that’s only a few seconds :wink:

Under Construction Page during Maintenance?
Links aren't showing in the sidebar or topic summaries on subfolder installs
Links aren't showing in the sidebar or topic summaries on subfolder installs
(Ankhamax) #10

How do I upload discourse_offline.html there?

(Felix Freiberger) #11

Create that folder (or any other folder) on your server, and either write the file directly on the server, or upload it to your server as usual (probably via SFTP).