Tapatalk API implementation project

(Tomasz Stachewicz) #6

Awesome work. @lupine, which features do you need the most urgent help with? I’d like Tapatalk support for Discourse as well, badly!

1 Like
(Lupine) #7

Hiya. Next on my list was push notification support and the varied tapatalk login mechanisms - unfortunately, I broke my collarbone just before I was going to get to work on it. The push notification API is undocumented, but I’ve got a contact inside tapatalk who’s promised to provide “all necessary support” to get it working.

I really can’t work on this stuff this month, but if you fancy taking it on, I can pass on my contact’s details to you?

1 Like
(Tomasz Stachewicz) #8

I’m still wondering what has higher priority for me: shoutbox or tapatalk push notifications. To be honest I disable notifications as soon as I install Tapatalk on a new device. Does all the other stuff (new topics, browsing forum, posting) work through your application?

(Pablo Macaluso) #9

Im thinking, the webapp of discourse its so much better … Tapatalk only its a APP for Forums.
The webapp its so much pretty and fast.

(Tomasz Stachewicz) #10

Yeah, but Tapatalk has all the forums (with login-password pairs) grouped up in one place and with a consistent interface. Saves a lot of hassle on smartphone.

2 Likes
(Lupine) #11

The killer tapatalk feature for us, really, was making the phone buzz whenever a new message was sent to the forum. Since it’s a small community, it’s not an annoying notification load, and it’s not really something the web app can do, unfortunately.

The code so far implements new topics, replying to existing topics, and browsing the forum. It also supports direct logins, although the password is sent in plaintext. The android and iphone official clients both worked for all that, last I checked.

1 Like
(Bernardo Kuri) #12

Wouldn’t it be easier in your case to simply implement the HTML5 vibration API as a discourse plugin instead?

The reasons why I wouldn’t mind Tapatalk integration:

• For people who are users at many different forums and prefer having everything in one place under the same UI.
  • Decreased friction from users who don’t see the need to change to discourse and learn a new UI.
  • For bandwidth savings, since only the bare data gets transmitted (no extra HTML+JS+CSS payload to worry about).
  • A native app will probably always provide a “snappier” experience than a webapp. Not to mention that different mobile browsers render html at different speeds and sometimes with different results.
2 Likes
(Jeff Atwood) #13

This is already the case with Discourse. Every link you click is just JavaScript a) making the API call to get the JSON data b) redrawing the screen locally.

Discourse is like an iPhone or Android app, just without the “iPhone” or “Android” part – JavaScript.

(Bernardo Kuri) #14

Right, except that you need all those extra assets to build your UI and app logic inside a browser window in the first place. With a dedicated app all that gets requested and transmitted is the content, while the rendering is done by the app. Hence the badwidth savings comment.

(Jeff Atwood) #15

Apps have to be installed – that’s also a burden, and requires downloading resources / binaries and installing them. These binaries also have to be regularly updated, don’t they?

1 Like
(Bernardo Kuri) #16

They do, but that’s no longer my server’s problem. :wink:

Under Tapatalk sessions, all my server has to worry about is serving just the content. This translates to less HTTP requests and data transfer, which should ultimately make everything just a little faster for everyone.

One could probably argue that this wouldn’t be too perceptible on low traffic sites, but I suspect that higher traffic sites would see some marked benefit by doing this.

1 Like

Is someone using tapatalker?

Is there a still strong belief that plugin for tapatalk isn’t needed?

1 Like
(Jagoba Los Arcos) #18

Hey.
First my apoplogies for rescue this old post.

My name is Jagoba and I am plugin developer at Tapatalk. We are looking at the tapatalker and I wish to contact you. Lupine, can you write me to jagoba@tapatalk.com please so we can discuss about the code you done? :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Hope you guys work it out. I need an app for Discourse. :wink:

1 Like
(@SenpaiMass) #20

I was so excited when I saw this topic on meta. Taptalk integration with discourse is the plugin which most of the developing communities could use.
The commits to taptalker is 2years old. Which I would presume it will not work with the latest discourse setups.

1 Like
(Dustin Pitcher) #21

Yes! We began migrating a community from a 15,000 member Facebook group a few days ago and I have gotten no fewer than a dozen messages per day asking why tapatalk won’t work with our forum. I actually considered this when deciding on discourse vs vanilla vs xenforo but thought tapatalk would be more of a fringe request. I was wrong, it’s not. @codinghorror I will gladly move to a paid plan, hell I’ll even put up a bounty of $1000USD if we can get some resources dedicated to this and a deadline for completion.

I love discourse and have invested over 80 hours setting it up, training my mods, etc. but my users have made it apparent that they want push notifications and they are specifically requesting tapatalk. I know it takes resources to make this happen which is why I’m happy to go to a paid plan, and even pony up additional cash. Money talks. Can we make this happen?

If there is nothing in the pipeline, and this is still low on the priority list, I really need to know so I can make a switch (which I really do not want to do).

(Rafael dos Santos Silva) #22

You seen to have a pretty good user base to ask this question: They like the new Facebook push notifications trough Chrome?

If those are enough, you can rest assured that this will be in core some day.

2 Likes
(Dustin Pitcher) #23

Hey, thanks so much for the quick response.

I’m referring to tapatalk integration, push notifications is only one (albeit important) part of why they (we) want tapatalk. Chrome push notifications are compelling but do not work on iOS, so that leaves out a large percentage of users.

You mention “someday” on the Chrome notifications so I take that to mean its not actually on the roadmap or if it is, it’s not slated for any particular release?

And you didn’t mention tapatalk at all so I assume that isn’t not a possibility even if I pay?

Can anyone confirm?

Thanks again.

(Jeff Atwood) #24

You can start a marketplace topic if you have a budget, and see if anyone is interested. The Tapatalk compatibility feature is not on our roadmap at all right now.

(Dustin Pitcher) #25

Ahh the marketplace, I should have thought of that. Thanks! :+1: