Tapping edit history bug using iPad Safari / Firefox

(Mittineague) #1

I have been attributing this to my “shaky fat-finger taps” but I can consistently reproduce it here using iPad Safari

• go to a longer topic and find a post near the end that has the edit pencil icon.
  • open the modal
  • close the modal

Expected:
will be at the same place in the topic

Actual:
will be more than several posts back in the topic

(Jeff Atwood) #2

This is iPad specific or can be reproed on desktop / laptop?

(Mittineague) #3

I just now tested on my Windows 10 desktop.
Edge and IE 11, Chrome, Opera dev, and Vivaldi.
User script disabled, Varied view-port widths.
Left mouse click, not touch.

I did not replicate even once.

So, yes, a better than good chance this is iPad Safari specific.

I look at post revision history to help me (maybe) as Moderator remember what about a post has been edited by another Moderator. We have a great Team but I have a less than good time remembering what is going on let alone was going on if I missed it somehow. I tend to want to be on the frontline as well as in the back rooms. More from vBulletin PTSD than anything else. A desire to be fair and do a fair share.

Other than my Moderator work flow, this is likely to be unused by many visitors. (unless there are rough stats somewhere that suggest otherwise?)

IMHO, that could be edge case enough to back burner it. And maybe it’s not a Discourse bug. No sense in hacking edgier things for browsers if they’re working on it.

I’ll do search now

(Mittineague) #4

Quick results. One of two things. It’s a bug that has been unfixed for years. Or it is so new it hasn’t propagated yet.

(Mittineague) #5

I did some more testing on iPad.

The quirk does not happen using Chrome or Opera Mini. But it does with Firefox.

To recap, the only time I have experienced the jump back in the timeline is while using iPad with Safari or Firefox. Both portrait and landscape orientation.